John Vervaeke - Awakening from the Meaning Crisis

DrYouth

Re: John Vervaeke - Awakening from the Meaning Crisis

Post by DrYouth » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 am
Then you have gone further than me. Vervaeke is like A level Jordan Peterson. Not as charismatic and funny but way, way deeper. I find myself thinking in new ways after having listened to him. I will try to catch up. Just need to narrow down my podcast diet.

Do you look at YouTube or listen to the podcast? I only listen and sometimes wonder if I'm missing any visual stuff. The few videos I've looked was mostly him talking and I don't need to see that.
lol... you find Peterson charismatic and funny?

Actually both Vervaeke and Peterson are deep.
Peterson's interpretation of Biblical metaphor is pretty damn impressive actually. I haven't read his "Masks of Meaning", but I would bet it's pretty good. 12 rules for living is deceptively deep, but delivered in a simple way... which takes much skill.

Just listened to episode 18 and 19...

Vervaeke takes us through Plotinus and Augustine... Augustine seems to represent a high water mark.

Breathtaking. Highly recommend.

He is now starting into the second half of the series.

The Meaning decline... presumably bringing us to the modern day "meaning crisis".
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:37 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am

I can respect his refusal to back down in the face of a mob.

He none the less suffers from the seminal Canadian flaw.

Priggish holier than thou know it all.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:03 am

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am
Hastur wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 am
Then you have gone further than me. Vervaeke is like A level Jordan Peterson. Not as charismatic and funny but way, way deeper. I find myself thinking in new ways after having listened to him. I will try to catch up. Just need to narrow down my podcast diet.

Do you look at YouTube or listen to the podcast? I only listen and sometimes wonder if I'm missing any visual stuff. The few videos I've looked was mostly him talking and I don't need to see that.

Actually both Vervaeke and Peterson are deep.
Peterson's interpretation of Biblical metaphor is pretty damn impressive actually. I haven't read his "Masks of Meaning", but I would bet it's pretty good. 12 rules for living is deceptively deep, but delivered in a simple way... which takes much skill.

Just listened to episode 18 and 19...

Vervaeke takes us through Plotinus and Augustine... Augustine seems to represent a high water mark.

Breathtaking. Highly recommend.

He is now starting into the second half of the series.

The Meaning decline... presumably bringing us to the modern day "meaning crisis".
I'll put this here. It also relates to the conversation I had here: https://www.martinhash.com/forums/viewt ... 90#p295376

Here we have Alexander Bard talking about Jordan Peterson vs John Vervaeke. Marx vs Rousseau. The Phallic vision and false phallus. Why we worship youth and a lot of the things I've been going on about.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck