History on Fire: Joan of Arc / Hundred Years War

GloryofGreece

History on Fire: Joan of Arc / Hundred Years War

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:40 pm

I listened to the first "context" filled episode. Have to say its underwhelming when Danielle prefaces many statements with things like, " this is complicated, this will take awhile, this could be boring" etc...we get it this is a background historical episode to set the stage.

The topic is great. The amount of source material is wonderful. The timeperiod and location etc. is all check check for me. This is an exciting story and historical person. Should be fun. Feel free to post links to good articles on the topic and/or youtube video presentations, lectures, interviews with relevant authors etc. That would make for a better discussion.

Im looking forward to parts II-IV. This is running to the end of the year according to DB.

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/
The good, the true, & the beautiful

GloryofGreece

Re: History on Fire: Joan of Arc / Hundred Years War

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Massive/comprehensive article on the topic
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/arch ... nt-martyr/

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:40 pm
I listened to the first "context" filled episode. Have to say its underwhelming when Danielle prefaces many statements with things like, " this is complicated, this will take awhile, this could be boring" etc...we get it this is a background historical episode to set the stage.

The topic is great. The amount of source material is wonderful. The timeperiod and location etc. is all check check for me. This is an exciting story and historical person. Should be fun. Feel free to post links to good articles on the topic and/or youtube video presentations, lectures, interviews with relevant authors etc. That would make for a better discussion.

Im looking forward to parts II-IV. This is running to the end of the year according to DB.

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/
Yeah, it almost feels like he's increased the frequency he does that prefacing, a lot like the complaints some of us had in the thread on Dan's Indianapolis show. To me, it almost feels like not knowing the audience-- anyone listening to him probably isn't turned off by a little political maneuvering. There's a wide difference between "This next small story is legendary and might not be totally true, but its great so I'll tell it anyway" and "This next small story is good context but it will probably be boring."

After all, the one sure way to make something boring is to tell the audience it will be boring.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 am

Gotta love that legalism...

The Journey to the Stake
"The English brought their accusations against Joan, now imprisoned in Rouen, in January 1431. Among them were the charges that she had violated divine law by dressing as a man and bearing arms; that she had deceived simple people by making them believe that God had sent her; and finally that she had committed “divine offense,” namely heresy. Some days later, when the trial opened, the Bishop of Beauvais, Pierre Cauchon, added the charge of witchcraft and declared that Joan was now also under suspicion of having cast spells and invoked demons.

Picture of the seal of the Count of Dunois, who fought alongside Joan of Arc
Seal of the Count of Dunois, who fought alongside Joan at Orléans. Joan of Arc Museum, Orléans
PHOTOGRAPH BY BRIDGEMAN/ACI
On February 21 Joan answered her charges for the first time before the tribunal. “They asked poor Joan very difficult, subtle, and misleading questions,” said one contemporary, “many clerics and educated men present there would have had problems answering.” But the young woman knew how to defend herself. Her concise replies often disarmed the judges and aroused admiration from the public.

Was Joan sure of being in God’s grace, she was asked? If she answered no, she knew she would be lying, while if she answered yes, she would be arrogantly placing herself beyond the authority of the church. So instead Joan answered: “If I am not [in a state of grace] may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.” Several weeks passed, no confession was forthcoming and Cauchon was forced to drop the charges of witchcraft and concentrate instead on a few key points that he thought would clinch the case of Joan’s heresy. At the beginning of April, a list of 12 accusations, reduced from 70, was approved and then submitted for examination by the University of Paris."

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 am

The fact is, Jesus decided to fuck us and helped the French win the war. This is why atheists must be tossed into a pit.

The French helped preserve Christendom from the jihadis, and Jesus remembered.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am
Decent looking new movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVO2cDKeng
Great comeback for Powers Boothe. He's looking a lot better than I expected.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 am

Any normal country when a young girl hears voices in her head she is treated as the nutter she clearly is and kept away from any important decision making.
In France they put her at the head of the army, follow her into battle and eventually make her a Saint.
No wonder the snail eaters are so rubbish at war... ;)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 am
The fact is, Jesus decided to fuck us and helped the French win the war. This is why atheists must be tossed into a pit.

The French helped preserve Christendom from the jihadis, and Jesus remembered.
Man would it be awesome if Christendom was one united country. Can you imagine...

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 am
Any normal country when a young girl hears voices in her head she is treated as the nutter she clearly is and kept away from any important decision making.
In France they put her at the head of the army, follow her into battle and eventually make her a Saint.
No wonder the snail eaters are so rubbish at war... ;)
I dunno, I seem to recall 200+ years after Joanie some folks in Massachusetts were putting people on trial based on young girls seeing visions or whatnot that were accusing others of being witches.

And today we have #metoo, where you MUST "believe women", including young girls, so we are effectively putting young girls (or vindictive older women who haven't grown up) in charge of decisions that can destroy lives.

Seems like periodically we make the same mistakes every few hundred years. :think: