Revolutions

Montegriffo

Re: Revolutions

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 am
It took some time to work out what the English revolution was.
Nobody here calls it that, we just call it the civil war.
I’m not sure that you could call it a Revolution... at least not in hindsight.
It was a revolt against the monarchy but I never really thought of it as revolution before.
A lot of good castles died without changing very much.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
It was a revolt against the monarchy but I never really thought of it as revolution before.
I mean... I guess you can only call something a "revolution" if it's successful. Otherwise, it's just a "civil war", or a "rebellion".

History being written by the victors, and all.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:54 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I mean... I guess you can only call something a "revolution" if it's successful. Otherwise, it's just a "civil war", or a "rebellion".

History being written by the victors, and all.
You can't even say it was unsuccessful. They chopped the King's head off and won parliamentary supremacy. It's just that Cromwell was far worse than the monarchy so they reverted back to a King after he died.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat May 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mike never described it as a revolution on the podcast it's just the one he starts with on his "Revolutions" podcast. He then describes what a revolution is and muses about just what the English Civil War has to do with revolutions, as it does share some traits and is apparently referred to as a revolution by some people.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm

It makes sense to include it...
Even if only to set the context for the American Revolution.
The American revolution makes a lot more sense when you understand the English Civil War or whatever it was.

It also explains a lot of what happened in the Glorious Revolution... which interestingly doesn't get covered at all...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm
It makes sense to include it...
Even if only to set the context for the American Revolution.
The American revolution makes a lot more sense when you understand the English Civil War or whatever it was.

It also explains a lot of what happened in the Glorious Revolution... which interestingly doesn't get covered at all...
Our Revolution is a direct descent of over a thousand years of evolution.

Weriguild, Daneslaw, Magna Carta to Constitution. It's a grand arch that emphasizes how liberal our race is.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Weriguild, Daneslaw, Magna Carta to Constitution. It's a grand arch that emphasizes how liberal our race is.
What race?
The "English" race?
Does this include the Scandinavians, the Dutch, the French?
The Romans? which of the "Barbarian" races?... The Celts?
God forbid the Spanish....

Race is weaksauce in the discussion of Revolution...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm
You can't even say it was unsuccessful. They chopped the King's head off and won parliamentary supremacy. It's just that Cromwell was far worse than the monarchy so they reverted back to a King after he died.
It's something I admire about the English. They tried military dictatorship, said "that sucked!", and never did it again. Unlike countless other nations. I couldn't finish the French Rev series, got too granular for me to follow with intermittent listening.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 am

DrYouth wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

What race?
The "English" race?
Does this include the Scandinavians, the Dutch, the French?
The Romans? which of the "Barbarian" races?... The Celts?
God forbid the Spanish....

Race is weaksauce in the discussion of Revolution...
Doc, doc, doc.... you have to FEEL what race someone is, in order to classify them. I mean OBVIOUSLY, if they’re light-skinned, they’re of your race. But not with the slanted eyes. Those are another race. And of course the Celts are white now too, because they are in Europe. But not the Gypsies, because they’re different. Oh, and dark-skinned Italians are fine, because Europe.

It’s all about the feel, man.

Dr Seuss wrote a very instructional book on race, concerning Sneetches on beaches. It has great relevance to race relations.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 am
Doc, doc, doc.... you have to FEEL what race someone is, in order to classify them. I mean OBVIOUSLY, if they’re light-skinned, they’re of your race. But not with the slanted eyes. Those are another race. And of course the Celts are white now too, because they are in Europe. But not the Gypsies, because they’re different. Oh, and dark-skinned Italians are fine, because Europe.

It’s all about the feel, man.
Funny, I heard this guy, Hoboken born director Sam Esmail,. going off on the "experience" of being a POC.
Can you tell if he's Spanish, German, Italian, Jewish or Egyptian(actual)?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND