Revolutions

DrYouth

Re: Revolutions

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am

Interesting to me how important leadership was in determining the degree upheaval and the outcome of events.

For example King Charles' inflexibility.... leading to the English revolution.
Cromwell's failure to reign in the military and plan succession... leading to the counter revolution.

And Washington's leadership leading to the lack of a counter revolution unlike the case in England.

King Lois' vacillation leading to the French Revolution etc.

We appears we do need leaders.... in the face of Fife's constant refrain of "no leaders"...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

DrYouth wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am
Interesting to me how important leadership was in determining the degree upheaval and the outcome of events.

For example King Charles' inflexibility.... leading to the English revolution.
Cromwell's failure to reign in the military and plan succession... leading to the counter revolution.

And Washington's leadership leading to the lack of a counter revolution unlike the case in England.

King Lois' vacillation leading to the French Revolution etc.

We appears we do need leaders.... in the face of Fife's constant refrain of "no leaders"...
"No leaders?" Not only is it not a "constant refrain," its something I've never said.

The difference between a leader and a ruler is a mutually voluntary relationship vs an involuntary exposure to violence. In either case we have rules and structure.

You're being rather sloppy with your language in disparaging me. Or maybe I need correction on Canadian English. Maybe Washington didn't really need his army standing right behind him to convince those Pittsburgh hicks to back off on their failure to submit to the confiscation of their labor and products. Maybe he was just flashing some leadership skills.

:goteam: :drunk:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 18, 2018 12:17 pm

So your refrain is "no rulers"?

And you want to make a distinction between leaders and rulers?

Maybe try less ambiguous slogans if you don't want to be misunderstood.

:roll:
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 pm

I think there's a pretty big difference between a leader and a ruler.

A leader guides down an agreed-to path. A ruler tells you what the path is.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri May 18, 2018 1:00 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:17 pm
So your refrain is "no rulers"?

And you want to make a distinction between leaders and rulers?

Maybe try less ambiguous slogans if you don't want to be misunderstood.

:roll:
Hey, you're the one who called me out, right out of the blue, unprovoked, and disparaged my entire ethos with some historically inaccurate bullshit thrown in for spice. I was minding my own business, when you started poking fun at my imaginary "refrain."

Then when I take the time to state concisely, politely, and with utter clarity, the nature of your slander, you run to the "I been victimized" canard and your middle school eye-rolling.

Maybe try being less of a pompous ass about making up slander, if *you* don't want to be "misunderstood."

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Fife wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Hey, you're the one who called me out, right out of the blue, unprovoked, and disparaged my entire ethos with some historically inaccurate bullshit thrown in for spice. I was minding my own business, when you started poking fun at my imaginary "refrain."

Then when I take the time to state concisely, politely, and with utter clarity, the nature of your slander, you run to the "I been victimized" canard and your middle school eye-rolling.

Maybe try being less of a pompous ass about making up slander, if *you* don't want to be "misunderstood."
Well it did spice up the thread a little...

I thought it was getting a bit bland.

Thanks for being the chilly. 8-)

:twisted:

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri May 18, 2018 10:37 pm

I've listened to every episode just because I loved the History of Rome so much; some of this subject matter was not interesting to me but he made it so it would be.

And I take the exact opposite take of DrYouth, the rulers are the reason for all of these Revolutions
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat May 19, 2018 2:44 am

The way I see it the reason was that monarchy to often leads to poor leadership. Dynastic struggle also causes a lot of wars. It’s no surprise people started to look at other options.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 am

It took some time to work out what the English revolution was.
Nobody here calls it that, we just call it the civil war.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 am
It took some time to work out what the English revolution was.
Nobody here calls it that, we just call it the civil war.
I’m not sure that you could call it a Revolution... at least not in hindsight.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0