Re: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Addendum

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:09 am
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 am

What's crazy is we pretty much let the Japs off the hook for War Crimes. Hell, the modern pussies got us apologizing for destroying the Evil bastards.
Well, vigorous self-criticism is one of the features of the European enlightenment that makes it a superior way of viewing the world.
Self criticism is fine, but you don't leave out the brutal nature of the enemy that factored into the decision making process of the men dealing with that enemy.

GIs on the ground shot Japs that appeared dead for a very good reason.
I can't speak for anyone else, but reading hawks didn't convince me that pacifism was morally absurd - reading pacifists did.

Before realizing that, no amount of attention paid to the brutality of the enemy would have convinced me. But, you're right - we should probably not forget their brutality. Since they aren't as good with self-criticism they aren't going to endlessly talk abut their own atrocities.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am

McArthur was the architect of the light hand if conquest in Japan after the war. I'm guessing if Patton had been in charge in Europe the Krauts would have fared better.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am

I can't speak for anyone else, but reading hawks didn't convince me that pacifism was morally absurd - reading pacifists did.

Before realizing that, no amount of attention paid to the brutality of the enemy would have convinced me.

Out of curiosity, why not?

I know you know, but the Japanese were unspeakably cruel and they had every man, woman and child working on fueling their murder machine.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am

there were other things Carlin was asserting which were simply not true

like they dropped the bombs on Hiroshima & Nagasaki to save America from having to invade

that's not the case, the forces poised to invade Japan was the Soviets

that's why the Japanese didn't care about the A-bombs, they were more worried about Stalin

Hiroshima & Nagasaki was not to end the Second World War, it was the first shots fired in the Cold War
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am

Before realizing that, no amount of attention paid to the brutality of the enemy would have convinced me.

Out of curiosity, why not?

I know you know, but the Japanese were unspeakably cruel and they had every man, woman and child working on fueling their murder machine.
Because the power to rationalize existing beliefs is stronger than the power to be rational - I don't think that is just me. It is why whataboutism and other specious rationalizations are so common.

However, reading people that I wanted to agree with, and seeing how weak thin their arguments were, didn't trigger that same defensive rationalization mechanism.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 am
Because the power to rationalize existing beliefs is stronger than the power to be rational - I don't think that is just me. It is why whataboutism and other specious rationalizations are so common.

However, reading people that I wanted to agree with, and seeing how weak thin their arguments were, didn't trigger that same defensive rationalization mechanism.
Well said.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Well said.
:dance:
It's a good question, and sort of embarrassing to admit to the answer.
HAIL!

-Hwen

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:55 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 am
yeah, Hanoi Dan was the bridge too far, that's when he freaked out, started flailing

thing was tho, he kept invoking soldiers as his allies against me

he kept saying soldiers agree with him

all I said was, I don't think so, I bet I know soldiers better than you

that's when he asked me to leave the forum
Truth bomb went Supernova.

That was epic.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:56 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am
McArthur was the architect of the light hand if conquest in Japan after the war. I'm guessing if Patton had been in charge in Europe the Krauts would have fared better.
Interesting thought.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Well said.
I agree...

Sort of like how I wanted to disagree with all of you...
And then found myself agreeing.

Not always... but often enough to keep showing up.