Common Sense 316 - The Day of the Dove

DBTrek

Re: Common Sense 316 - The Day of the Dove

Post by DBTrek » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:36 pm

KerningChameleon wrote: Honestly, if we take that kind of thinking to it's logical conclusion, we removed tribal superstitions and the Greco-Roman mythology from their cultural importance in our western societies. We still refer to the stories of those myths, but as just that: stories and characters that are interesting to think about and discuss from a narrative perspective, but no one today seriously believes they actual exist (except for whacko New Age outliers). If we could evolve philosophically beyond a polytheistic worldview, why is it such a leap to think we couldn't also evolve past a cultural need for monotheism, even just supernatural paradigms in general?

We can take the moral lessons but leave behind the slight-of-hand hokum, I think.

The ol' Star Trek joke.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:38 pm

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:53 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
An atheist, at least the evangelical secular humanist variety that is so popular among the reddit demographic, is someone who believes in institutions that were only given their legitimacy by Christian teachings and ideas. They want to remove Christian influence from society, while pretending that their entire worldview isn't completely borrowed from it. Nietzsche hated liberalism, because of its reliance on judeo-christian morality. His philosophy is a trainwreck imo, but he was honest enough to make the connection. I don't think that means that people who value liberalism should have to be Christians, but they should at least acknowledge where this stuff came from. If you talk to these people they always act like they are all about ideas and rational thinking, but they don't even know the history of these ideas.
I'm more of the opinion that humans were capable of conjuring up a Golden Rule and caring for the poor, before Emperor Constantine codified the New Testament.

Regardless, I have a problem with applying mysticism to the fields of science, and a big problem with legislation based on a simpleton's understanding of the Bible. Other than that, feel free to worship your shoes if you want. No business of mine.
Honestly, if we take that kind of thinking to it's logical conclusion, we removed tribal superstitions and the Greco-Roman mythology from their cultural importance in our western societies. We still refer to the stories of those myths, but as just that: stories and characters that are interesting to think about and discuss from a narrative perspective, but no one today seriously believes they actual exist (except for whacko New Age outliers). If we could evolve philosophically beyond a polytheistic worldview, why is it such a leap to think we couldn't also evolve past a cultural need for monotheism, even just supernatural paradigms in general?

We can take the moral lessons but leave behind the slight-of-hand hokum, I think.
Good post.

I'd like for it to work out that way, but without global belief systems, who knows whether society can hold together. China seems to be the only modern example of this.

I'm just fine with sealing religion off into the realm of "personal business". Just keep it out of the research lab and halls of government thanks.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Lol

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Lol
I've been thinking of a project to examine how the most retarded Jacobins got their fucked up ideas into the fore and fucked up Europe. This board has helped some, but still confuses me: how do the most impotent thinkers get people to actually buy their lo-info bullshit?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm

I've been homeless before. I remember when I had a patio of my own with some shitty deck chairs under a tree. I would spend hours and hours drinking on the patio and vaguely wondering why I was so happy. I'll have a patio again.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Fife wrote:
I've been thinking of a project to examine how the most retarded Jacobins got their fucked up ideas into the fore and fucked up Europe. This board has helped some, but still confuses me: how do the most impotent thinkers get people to actually buy their lo-info bullshit?

It's like a confidence racket for median to low IQ people, honestly.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Fife wrote:
Envy & resentment are VERY powerful emotions that have to be consciously subsumed. In a Winner-Take-All, Second-Place-Is-The-First-Loser libertarian society, there's a hell of a lot more "losers" than "winners," and not much reason to suppress envy & resentment. The-Enemy-Of-My-Enemy-Is-My-Friend is a potent unifier.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Envy & resentment are VERY powerful emotions that have to be consciously subsumed. In a Winner-Take-All, Second-Place-Is-The-First-Loser libertarian society, there's a hell of a lot more "losers" than "winners," and not much reason to suppress envy & resentment. The-Enemy-Of-My-Enemy-Is-My-Friend is a potent unifier.
Define "Winner-Take-All, Second-Place-Is-The-First-Loser libertarian society," and where on the globe would I find such a society?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Define "Winner-Take-All, Second-Place-Is-The-First-Loser libertarian society," and where on the globe would I find such a society?
Oh, that's right, you live in the hicks. I'm a West-Coaster: we got these people called the 1%ers, who are dynasties that control over 40% of America's wealth, and less upward mobility than ever in American history.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change