What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Margaret Atwood!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm

I wouldn't be caught dead reading a Canadian author, it's all Leftist angst, I have them around me all the time prattling on with their screeds, last thing I want to read is their novels, it's just the same Lefty screeds, in fictionalized format, and Atwood is their guru.

Although, Orwell is Atwood, Atwood is Orwell, they're cut from the same cloth, 1984, Handmaid's Tail, same-same, Lefty screeds in science fictionalised format.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I believe Orwell narrowly escaped death in Spain because Moscow ordered the liquidation of all foreign fighters there. I may be remembering this wrong.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:41 pm

heydaralon wrote:I believe Orwell narrowly escaped death in Spain because Moscow ordered the liquidation of all foreign fighters there. I may be remembering this wrong.
Yeah, Orwell was in a dangerous place, he joined the POUM, the Trotskyists, just when the NKVD was getting warmed up to liquidate them. Like I say, he was naive, had no clue what he walking into; there's no Wigan Pier here, comrade, only Big Brother.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 pm

I think this a big reason why Orwell gave up a bunch of Communist spies living in Britain right before he died. He saw firsthand how ruthless they were.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 pm

A bunch of them were in the film industry. Some dude who worked on the Third Man was a Russian spy I believe.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:57 pm

heydaralon wrote:I think this a big reason why Orwell gave up a bunch of Communist spies living in Britain right before he died. He saw firsthand how ruthless they were.
Deathbed conversion, yeah, great, all your Fellow Travellers are Stalinists after all, who knew? Bit of a dingbat, that Orwell, eh wot?
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I think this a big reason why Orwell gave up a bunch of Communist spies living in Britain right before he died. He saw firsthand how ruthless they were.
Deathbed conversion, yeah, great, all your Fellow Travellers are Stalinists after all, who knew? Bit of a dingbat, that Orwell, eh wot?
Didn't you tell me that you had a poster of Eleanor Roosevelt in your room during high school? One of your childhood heroes I thought :lol:
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Didn't you tell me that you had a poster of Eleanor Roosevelt in your room during high school? One of your childhood heroes I thought :lol:
lol. Oh yeah, what a hottie she was. I think I was more of a Linda Carter guy, maybe Olivia Newtron Bomb, or Stevie Nicks, although I didn't really do the chicks on the wall thing, chicks didn't rate the wall, the only posters I remember having on my wall, were of Billy Bishop and Billy Barker, but it was actually framed pictures.
Nec Aspera Terrent

apeman

Post by apeman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 am

heydaralon wrote:No way man. Nietzsche was an important thinker, but Schopenhauer ran circles around him and had the better mind and belief system. I'm almost certain that Nietzsche fucked that horse he was talking to, though I don't have any proof of this.
You are clearly smarter and more well-read than I, so I will remember this and tackle Schopenhauer eventually, thanks.