What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

GloryofGreece

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am

Savage Continent
Europe was a wreck after Second World War. But it's shocking how bad Germans were treated. Buchanan in his book"Churchill & Hitler" goes over much of the same topics but also cover more from the inter war period as well.

The more I read the more I think we should have sided with Germany against Russia. Hell maybe they wouldn't have even taken over France if Britain hadnt done what it did beforehand.
https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resour ... 3rIY-hKg2x
Last edited by GloryofGreece on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 am

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm

The Roman series by Colleen McCullogh. Dan Carlin hates it, I love it. :twisted:

First man of Rome all the way to the October Horse.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:12 am

HarryK wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm
The Roman series by Colleen McCullogh. Dan Carlin hates it, I love it. :twisted:

Why does he hate it?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:22 am

I just finished

Now I'm starting

StoA recommended the first Fractured State novel a couple years ago so I'm happy to read part 2 now
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:12 am
HarryK wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Why does he hate it?
He just feels it’s inaccurate to his podcast series. But I found the whole series from Marius and Sulla to Marc Anthony and Augustus riveting.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 am

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 am

currently

The Lawless State was written in 1976 jointly by Morton H. Halperin, Jerry J. Berman, Robert L. Borosage, and Christine M. Marwick. It recounts abuses of power by the U.S. Government throughout the Cold War, and is concerned mostly with surveillance methods and overstepped boundaries.

Topics mentioned include:

The CIA and FBI using illegal intelligence and intimidation methods through wiretaps and COINTELPRO.
The use of dissent limiting programs such as Operation Chaos to link dissenting anti-war organizations to the USSR, and extensive FBI investigation and sabotage of Martin Luther King.
U.S. Government activity in South America, and its part in the Chilean coup that put dictator Augusto Pinochet in power.
I put this off for a little while assuming it was be dry but it's actually quite engrossing and well written. I challenge any of these pro-FBI/CIA anti-Trumpers to read this book and come out still singing the praises of the intelligence agencies.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:34 am

So much of my past (and future) reading involves logic, analytics, and technical material. I’m trying to maintain a well balanced psyche by making sure to include some arts. Plus drawing is fun and relaxing, even if I suck at it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"