What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

DBTrek

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am

pineapplemike wrote:Image

I've been flipping through this collection of Ray Bradbury short stories in my spare time, they're good. Not much to say about them but this is the book I'm reading at the moment so I thought I would share

(sorry fife havent finished 12 rules for life yet, oh well)
Read that one last year. It was better than I expected.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Neurology and "science" in general bores me for the most part. Therapy is an art not a science, no?
No reason not to apply science to therapy.
As long as it's not pseudoscience... as most of the big pharma science is.
The cognitive science paradigm has pretty much run it's course.
GloryofGreece wrote:What do you think about this gem?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18886 ... UTF8&psc=1
No idea.
Hard to tell from the blurb.
Jungian authors can run the course from the ridiculous to the sublime.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 pm

DrYouth wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Neurology and "science" in general bores me for the most part. Therapy is an art not a science, no?
No reason not to apply science to therapy.
As long as it's not pseudoscience... as most of the big pharma science is.
The cognitive science paradigm has pretty much run it's course.
GloryofGreece wrote:What do you think about this gem?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18886 ... UTF8&psc=1
No idea.
Hard to tell from the blurb.
Jungian authors can run the course from the ridiculous to the sublime.
So your not aware of Robert L Moore's work? Do you have any thoughts on James Hillman, Marie von Franz, and Robert Bly?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:45 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Do you have any thoughts on James Hillman, Marie von Franz, and Robert Bly?
I haven't read any of these in any depth... nor have I read Jungs work in depth.

What I know of Jungian psychology I know from "Man and his Symbols", from listening to podcast interviews of Jungian authors and from a few books written by Jungians including "Trauma and the Soul" by Donald Kalshed and "Polishing the Bones" by Penelope Tarasuk...

I have heard of Hillman... he sounds unconvential and perhaps somewhat undisciplined... but very interesting.
Marie von Franz did some cool work on fairy tales I understand and I don't know much about Bly.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 pm

DrYouth wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:Do you have any thoughts on James Hillman, Marie von Franz, and Robert Bly?
I haven't read any of these in any depth... nor have I read Jungs work in depth.

What I know of Jungian psychology I know from "Man and his Symbols", from listening to podcast interviews of Jungian authors and from a few books written by Jungians including "Trauma and the Soul" by Donald Kalshed and "Polishing the Bones" by Penelope Tarasuk...

I have heard of Hillman... he sounds unconvential and perhaps somewhat undisciplined... but very interesting.
Marie von Franz did some cool work on fairy tales I understand and I don't know much about Bly.
Do you identify with the NeoFreudians or Alder etc.? Are you a trained CBT?

What are your views on the efficacy of bioenergetics/Lowens approach?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm

I read a few of his more arcane books in my youth. The one on alchemy was interesting.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I read a few of his more arcane books in my youth. The one on alchemy was interesting.
Reading that now. Good stuff. Actually "listening" on a audible version. (edit/ Don't know if you're referring to Jung or Hillman or whomever but the one by Hillman is good). It's fascinating that Jung wrote his Medical School paper on the "occult" in reference to medicine in some form or another.
Robert L. Moore's, Accessing the King Within and the others in his series are really inspired and fascinating discourses on masculine "archetypes" ...the "Magician" for example is those things that are analogous to Shamanism, witch doctor, mystical, magical, and spiritual within us.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:25 pm

If you are talking about that four archetype books from the eighties, it is nowhere in the same league as Jung.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:If you are talking about that four archetype books from the eighties, it is nowhere in the same league as Jung.
Not comparing just saying its good. Its not a competition. Its a good primer for archetypal concepts. Carl Jung was a pretty inaccessible writer overall in my opinion. Thomas Moore, Robert L. Moore, von Franz etc. are way better at expressing their ideas through books.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Understanding alchemy through the lens of Jung is pretty mind-blowing.

It would seem alchemists had the same idea as Jung long before. Dragon is the shadow. You have to save the princess and create an alchemical union (unconscious and conscious integration) to create the gold (individuation). You could describe his entire school of psychology in terms of alchemy. In a way, he basically just made alchemy modern.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.