What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 am

doc_loliday wrote:Just picked up Mike Duncan's Storm Before the Storm, it's pretty good so far.
In all seriousness doc that book looks great. Duncan is awesome and I like all things Rome.
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Dune.....

Saw movie and mini series before....people say both are hard to follow - I find book just as confusing if I didn't know back story - thank God for Wikipedia.

Dune is freaking great to read. Granted after, book 4 things do get a bit tiresome but it ends alright, IMO.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 am

I just finished Blythe this morning.

Anybody else seen this yet?

Blythe

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 am

Fife wrote:I just finished Blythe this morning.

Blythe

Have not heard of it. Christian libertarians tend to be more libertarian and trying to convert Christians, but some of them seem genuine. I don't really think that stuff is compatible with the Church, personally, but I am amenable to good arguments to that effect. I lean more towards Ferrara's take on it in Liberty: the god that failed. I think that book is pretty good at demolishing most of the myths about the Enlightenment even if you skip over the stuff relating to the Church.

I would argue that libertarianism confuses license with liberty, and when a nation of people are given license to every form of degeneracy, many will do so, it will spread across that society like a cancer, and tyranny will soon follow. This is essentially the lesson of Sodom and Gomorrah. Degeneracy has a compulsive aspect to it. Permissiveness in that area leads eventually to coercion.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Blythe

Have not heard of it. Christian libertarians tend to be more libertarian and trying to convert Christians, but some of them seem genuine. I don't really think that stuff is compatible with the Church, personally, but I am amenable to good arguments to that effect. I lean more towards Ferrara's take on it in Liberty: the god that failed. I think that book is pretty good at demolishing most of the myths about the Enlightenment even if you skip over the stuff relating to the Church.

I would argue that libertarianism confuses license with liberty, and when a nation of people are given license to every form of degeneracy, many will do so, it will spread across that society like a cancer, and tyranny will soon follow. This is essentially the lesson of Sodom and Gomorrah. Degeneracy has a compulsive aspect to it. Permissiveness in that area leads eventually to coercion.
You can't judge a book by its cover, and this one is proof of that! 5 Stars bro! Check it out seriously. Remarkable wisdom in these slim pages.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:21 pm

What is really compelling about RuPaul's book is his take on Jeffersonian ideals. Notice the subtitle: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Style. Jefferson chose happiness, but what RuPaul is saying is that style is even more important than happiness, because without style you will never transcend the physical prison of mediocrity. Thomas Jefferson is a man of ideas. But let's face it, his wig and makeup were a travesty. I've seen better weave behind the counter at 7/11. Jefferson might have been president, but he was the president of ugly two bit hairpieces. Ted Kacinski had better hair. RuPaul correctly deduces that a man's ideas and character are far less important and quite superficial compared to his sense of fashion. Without fashion, honey, you are nothing more than a flat chested negro diva. Every man goes through a diva stage, until he finds the unifying principles of fashion and then he transcends into a geisha. Walking the catwalk with confidence will help solve the most important problems our civilization faces, and it will help you get the all the cabana boy numbers that you could ever dream of. Fashion allows you to think for yourself, and become the man god intended for you to be. The declaration of independence will soon be seen like beehive haircuts, or disco balls, but fashion is timeless. Style is everything.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Blythe

I had not heard of it either.
There may be a reason there was only one Catholic who signed the Declaration of Independence. :D
I agree that the big problem with Libertarianism is the threat of it turning into degeneracy. It holds the same logical pitfalls as Social Justice. The Libertarian Party conveys almost an Anarchist world, this is primarily due to their stance on drugs.

People just don't do the right thing all the time, they don't pursue good as often as they should without strong, strong values set in them from the formative years. And in our society, where selfishness, sloth and gluttony are what is projected as ideals there could be a lot of trouble. For strong values to take hold again, we will have to destroy our current culture and remake it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 pm

If selfishness, sloth, and gluttony are wrong, I don't want to be right.

The best thing about libertarians is that they don't concern themselves overmuch with other people's pleasure.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:If selfishness, sloth, and gluttony are wrong, I don't want to be right.

The best thing about libertarians is that they don't concern themselves overmuch with other people's pleasure.

Problem being: license leads to coercion.

2008: OMFG how would homosexuals getting marriage licenses affect you!?

2014: OMFG if you won't participate in the homosexual wedding, then you should be run out of business!!

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 am

1776: OMFG the crown is not a legitimate party to marriage.

1787 & 1868: OMFG you will be made to care.

BTW, the book I linked has a lot to say about license and licentiousness. None of which is what the lo-info people around here call muh liberterrrianism.