What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 am

My God, you are dumb.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:My God, you are dumb.
You're not speaking to an audience steeped in Catholic dogma. Your post was unclear. Don't blame me for your total lack of context.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

I am talking about history.

Just fuck off. I was more interested in telling people who give a shit about history. You are such a stain.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I am talking about history.

Just fuck off. I was more interested in telling people who give a shit about history. You are such a stain.
I'll just observe, then.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am

Why even post that ignorant bullshit when you had no idea what I was even talking about?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 am

I'm just waiting for your target audience to arrive...

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 am

The point being.. maybe this philosopher king of Texcoco, who was very widely known and admired by the Mexica and other peoples of the valley, had something to do with paving the way with the mass conversion that occurred associated with the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Part of the legend of the image is that the Virgin Mary instructed Juan Diego to collect flowers from a particular spot, which he did and collected in his poncho-like garment. She told him to bring the flowers to the bishop, which he also did. The bishop obviously did not believe him and asked him what Our Lady wanted him to say, and he told them that she just instructed him to bring the flowers, which he unfurled from his poncho. But as the flowers fell out, they painted that image on the garment. There is a lot of symbolism in that image that spoke to the customs of the various peoples.

But what I found interesting is that the life of this king could very well have played into it. He was almost a Davidic figure. He went out of his way to remove corrupt judges and set down laws that applied to all members of society, even himself. In one case, he wanted to violate his own laws and couldn't find judges who would let him do it he was so thorough in reforming the legal system. A woman he intended to marry was instead married out to another by a family member. He was enraged and wanted to kill those responsible against his own system of justice. He somehow managed to have the new husband killed similar to how David had the husband of Bathsheba murdered so he could marry her. The entire valley was subsequently beset by locusts and other plagues. He made penance to his God in his empty temple with fasting and prayer.

This guy was practicing the closest thing to Christianity there ever was a generation before Cortez arrived.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:35 am

Now why was that so hard? That’s an interesting story. And you may well be right.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 am

Fife wrote:Image
hahaha yeah. I will often just read the first third, and then get distracted by some event of life and if I'm lucky finish the book over the next month or two. That is a best case scenario, because I procrastinate like a motherfucker.
Shikata ga nai