What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 am

apeman wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Brave New World is probably the most accurate prediction of the future ever written.

Read Forever War and then get back to me.
OK, I will.

By the end he is captain of all lesbian and gay troops who paint "old queer" graffiti on the bulkheads. He realizes the attractive female doctor is a latent heterosexual and almost smashes. That was hilarious.

The first time they came back with the relativistic effects, it was like thirty years into the future, and they were debriefed by a transgender officer. They were all like, what the fucking fuck is this shit?? Not so far-fetched now..

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am

Also on deck in Victor Frankl's "Mans Search for Meaning", waiting for wife to finish it, have no idea what to expect.

Might not have mentioned it here, but finished Dyer's "War" a while back -- superb book.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:45 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
apeman wrote:Finished Brave New World, 1/2 way through Beyond Good & Evil
Brave New World is probably the most accurate prediction of the future ever written.
It really is pretty amazing.

In the book everyone takes a drug called Soma so that they are never unhappy, anxious, etc., and they enter a euphoric, drugged up state.

What percent of US adults are on anti-depressants, opiates, etc?
What percent of kids are on ADHD meds, etc?

The stuff about consumption, no spirituality, no suffering, promiscuity, while exaggerated, is on the right path.

One part that really struck me is the talk about art, more specifically, Shakespeare. You learn that the inhabitants of the brave new world can only consume superficial garbage storyline and that they wouldn't understand Shakespeare. Why? Becuase you need struggle, drama, loss, redemption, etc. to write a real drama, and the brave new world had eliminated all these things by eliminating the negative parts of life.

That was probably the most interesting part to me.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 am

apeman wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
apeman wrote:Finished Brave New World, 1/2 way through Beyond Good & Evil
It really is pretty amazing.

In the book everyone takes a drug called Soma so that they are never unhappy, anxious, etc., and they enter a euphoric, drugged up state.

What percent of US adults are on anti-depressants, opiates, etc?
What percent of kids are on ADHD meds, etc?

The stuff about consumption, no spirituality, no suffering, promiscuity, while exaggerated, is on the right path.

One part that really struck me is the talk about art, more specifically, Shakespeare. You learn that the inhabitants of the brave new world can only consume superficial garbage storyline and that they wouldn't understand Shakespeare. Why? Becuase you need struggle, drama, loss, redemption, etc. to write a real drama, and the brave new world had eliminated all these things by eliminating the negative parts of life.

That was probably the most interesting part to me.
Not only that, but the systemic production of "sub-classes" to work in menial labor, and a small, groomed elite living a life of technological debauchery... The constant propaganda of "peace and joy" - think commercial breaks every 10 minutes, on 300 channels....
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

apeman wrote:Also on deck in Victor Frankl's "Mans Search for Meaning", waiting for wife to finish it, have no idea what to expect.
My advice: give Mrs. apeman time to finish it, but bump that one up your queue.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Fife wrote:
apeman wrote:Also on deck in Victor Frankl's "Mans Search for Meaning", waiting for wife to finish it, have no idea what to expect.
That is next, thanks fife.

I don't rush apegirl, I really am just proud that she gives a fuck enough to better herself, because she doesn't read at warp speed like I do it takes a lot more effort.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm

apeman wrote:
Fife wrote:
That is next, thanks fife.

I don't rush apegirl, I really am just proud that she gives a fuck enough to better herself, because she doesn't read at warp speed like I do it takes a lot more effort.
Ask her to wait until you've read it also to discuss it together. I bet you'll find the conversation amazing.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:26 pm

I will, I'm gonna send her this page to read in any case.

Who knows, maybe she'll make a rare appearance on our esteemed forums, she did it once before in the diet thread.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Alright, finished GWTW, so you can go ahead and burn all the copies now.

I'm onto The Business by Iain M. Banks, depleted all his sci-fi stuff so going back through all the non sci fi now, although, The Business is sort of sci-fi-ish, but more in a shadowy contemporary corporate underwordly kind of way. It's actually kind of a Culture novel in disguise.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Alright, finished GWTW, so you can go ahead and burn all the copies now.

ZZZZZZZ . . . zzz . . . , eh, what?