What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I don't know where to put this thread, so I'll just lump it here. I'm reading Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake and that Andrew Bacevich book on Middle East conflicts.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 pm

I've been meaning to post this. I am about 2/3 through a cool audiobook.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantas ... B01N48VJFJ

Great Military SF novel for what seems to be a new writer. Narrator is awesome.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Just got Jack Donovans The Way of Men
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Just went through For Whom the Bell Tolls, and almost done with A Farewell to Arms.

If Hemingway wrote these today, he'd be blasted by the left for his treatment of women.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm

C-Mag wrote:Just got Jack Donovans The Way of Men
Going to check that out. I posted a link to an interview he did with an alt-right goy here
TheReal_ND wrote:Saul TC Mann’s interview with Jack Donovan
Saul TC Mann did an interview with Jack Donovan, as a follow up to our discussion of the topic on episode 68 of The Fatherland.
https://radio.therightstuff.biz/2017/03 ... k-donovan/
I should be reading storm of steel right now. I got a chapter in and I like it so far but I can't get off the damn internet.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:22 pm

katarn wrote:Just went through For Whom the Bell Tolls, and almost done with A Farewell to Arms.

If Hemingway wrote these today, he'd be blasted by the left for his treatment of women.
Those books stay in your head long after you read them. Even The Old Man in the Sea kind of fucked with me, even though he was just a fucking fisherman trying to catch a fucking swordfish and he should have pulled the goddamn fish onto the boat and had an outboard motor so he could have gotten back to shore faster. Fuck that book pisses me off even thinking about it. He spent a long time trying to catch that fish and he didn't end up with anything but a fish head.

The scene that always fucked with me the most was in For Whom the Bell Tolls when the town lined up those priests and beat them to death. Spain is insanely Catholic, so those priests would have dined with their future murderers, christened their children and so on. Then the people just slaughtered them. That stuff happened in Spain too during the Civil War. I had a professor in college who interviewed a lot of Spaniards after the fact, and they were quite open about the murders they committed.
Last edited by heydaralon on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:40 pm

katarn wrote:Just went through For Whom the Bell Tolls, and almost done with A Farewell to Arms.

He was blasted then.
Try reading "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen."
It's one of my favorite Hemingway short stories.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:

Those books stay in your head long after you read them. Even The Old Man in the Sea kind of fucked with me, even though he was just a fucking fisherman trying to catch a fucking swordfish and he should have pulled the goddamn fish onto the boat and had an outboard motor so he could have gotten back to shore faster. Fuck that book pisses me off even thinking about it. He spent a long time trying to catch that fish and he didn't end up with anything but a fish head.

The scene that always fucked with me the most was in For Whom the Bell Tolls when the town lined up those priests and beat them to death. Spain is insanely Catholic, so those priests would have dined with their future murderers, christened their children and so on. Then the people just slaughtered them. That stuff happened in Spain too during the Civil War. I had a professor in college who interviewed a lot of Spaniards after the fact, and they were quite open about the murders they committed.
I had to read the Old Man and the Sea in middle school and found the same thing, saw a bit more romantic nobility though. FWTBT and AFTA aren't leaving my mind anytime soon.

Also recently: Children of Hurin from Tolkien.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I've been meaning to post this. I am about 2/3 through a cool audiobook.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantas ... B01N48VJFJ

Great Military SF novel for what seems to be a new writer. Narrator is awesome.
Do you ever read anything by Arthur C Clarke? I have Childhood's End and 2001 sitting around somewhere, but I've never actually started them.
Shikata ga nai