"Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

Speaker to Animals

Re: "Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I didn't say anything about Spengler.
Cooper and Ebert introduce Spengler as a natural continuation of the work of Campbell.
Haven't read him myself...

No, not really, especially since Spengler live almost a century before Campbell.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:No, not really, especially since Spengler live almost a century before Campbell.
Just telling you how Cooper set it up...
Perhaps based on how he discovered Spengler rather than on the order of their works.
He refers to discovering Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" then "The Masks of God" series, then moving on to Oswald Spengler's "The Decline of the West"...
But you are right... Spengler wrote DofW 30 years before Campbell wrote THWATF
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:10 pm

That's not really how he set it up. Maybe listen again.

He said he discovered Spengler via Campbell. Not that Spengler and Campbell have much at all to do with one another.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:That's not really how he set it up. Maybe listen again.

He said he discovered Spengler via Campbell. Not that Spengler and Campbell have much at all to do with one another.
If you say so...

Like I said, I haven't read Spengler.

The jist of what Cooper and Ebert shared about Spengler indicated a view of civilizations as going through stages of development and decline and building identities around symbols... sounds like a continuation of similar themes...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Here goes,

These fuckers said that Caesar took and kept power, because Sulla set the example by taking power and not releasing it until he died! IN THE NEXT BREATH THEY SAID CAESAR SAID OF SULLA THAT HIS ONLY MISTAKE WAS EVER LETTING GO OF POWER! Then they went on to say it was Sulla's fault that Caesar got to be Caesar for his entire life, COMPLETELY IGNORING THE FACT THAT IT WAS NOT YET ACCEPTABLE TO CLING TO POWER FOR LIFE, BECAUSE NO ONE HAD DONE IT YET, AND NOT EVEN CAESAR COULD PULL IT OFF ,BECAUSE THE SENATE STABBED HIS ASS TO DEATH!

/rant

Other than that it was a very good first episode. It's been a while since I've heard any new perspectives or angles. This is the second narrative I've run into since the election ended that I find myself wondering how I didn't hear about during. Matt Christiansen is the other.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 am

I'm in the second episode where they're talking about the black community rising quickly from 1865 to 1965, and then going back down again after 1965.

Seems I've heard this before...
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 pm

He's back with a seventh episode...

Sloterdijk's bubbles, globes and foam... :shock:

Trippy....

I'm still on board to see where this wild ride takes us.

Wonder what happened to Ebert during the break?
Some kind of personal hardship I figure...

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I'm in the second episode where they're talking about the black community rising quickly from 1865 to 1965, and then going back down again after 1965.

Seems I've heard this before...

:dance: Great Society :dance:
Give me a Billion Dollars and I will wipe out poverty - LBJ
I'll have those niggers voting Democrat for 200 years - LBJ
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

What was that analogy one of them used about the titanic and the dumb love story? I'm pretty sure it was decline where I heard that, but I can't remember what it was. Haven't listen to the new one yet.

My daughter and I are watching Balto. Never seen it. Not really paying attention either. Dogs are being mean to Balto because he's a half breed wolf dog. Seems like he'd be kicking their ass if he was half wolf, but this is supposed to be about the different one showing he's just as good as the others. They completely fucked the logic goat on this one.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:06 am

Just finished this episode.

This has been my favorite Decline of the West episode so far.

These guys are on to the big picture people... don't miss out!