What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 am

Starting to read the Skin by Curzio Malaparte while reading Naples by Norman Lewis. Fiction and non fiction account of the same event. Absolute insanity. Fife, did you like the book Confederacy of Dunces? What did you think of the ending? Who is a bigger cunt, Ignatius or his mother?
Shikata ga nai

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Fife wrote:
de officiis wrote:Image
Well, de o, APA and I have both thoroughly enjoyed Col. Fremantle's journal now.... what about you? Any comments?
I haven't finished it yet.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

de officiis wrote:
Fife wrote:
Well, de o, APA and I have both thoroughly enjoyed Col. Fremantle's journal now.... what about you? Any comments?
Well, check in when you do . . . the account of an English officer escaping from Yankeedom by the skin of his teeth is a hell of a story!

:goteam: :drunk:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:13 pm

I always thought de officiis would enjoy this:

One of the greatest, little-known Catholic SF authors.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:21 am

My friend bought it for me and had it shipped.
Inside cover wrote:He [W.E.B. Griffin] is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association. And he belongs to the Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Pensacola, Florida, chapters of the Flat Earth Society.
:shock:
There! Now I can name TWO flat-earthers.
I'm about half-way through the book--it isn't terrible. People's book recommendations annoy me, and I don't often make them myself, but what are you supposed to do when they mail the things straight from Amazon?
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Image
My friend bought it for me and had it shipped.
Inside cover wrote:He [W.E.B. Griffin] is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association. And he belongs to the Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Pensacola, Florida, chapters of the Flat Earth Society.
:shock:
There! Now I can name TWO flat-earthers.
I'm about half-way through the book--it isn't terrible. People's book recommendations annoy me, and I don't often make them myself, but what are you supposed to do when they mail the things straight from Amazon?
Have you checked out any of my Vampire Erotica fan fiction? I know I know you dont like recommemdations, but my books really tap into the youn adult market and expertly delve into having a sexual relationship with a Vampire who is homosexual. Very gripping stuff that might speak to you on a personal level!
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

I just started reading the pamphlet Anatomy of the State by Murray Rothbard and Hadrian by Anthony Everitt.
Shikata ga nai

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:29 pm

heydaralon wrote:I just started reading Confederacy of Dunces. It has a lot of high minded sophisticated ideas thay I doubt you guys would understand.

Like being well read, articulate, overweight and unlaid?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 am

de officiis wrote:
Fife wrote:
Man, I read that book so quickly that I screwed up my daily recommended reading allowance regime and seriously exacerbated my already troublesome coccydynia. Although I harbor an intense dislike for the phrase "on so many levels...", this little nugget delivers the goods just so.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 am

I found a really cool book on Tacitus by Ronald Mellor. It was used and cost me a dollar to buy. Ive read the Annals of Imperial Rome (the title is that or similar) and it is probably my favorite book by an ancient author. Better than Thucydides even.
Shikata ga nai