What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

GloryofGreece

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 pm

The good, the true, & the beautiful

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 am

This looks interseting, an examination of what is ''Englishness'' from the perspective of the land. Coal, wool,wheat and wet weather.
And that is Winder’s point: forget the labels, look at the land below your feet. That’s where your “identity” comes from. Take the last wolf in England, which gives the book its title. Allegedly killed in the 1290s by a Shropshire knight named Peter Corbet (the king had tasked this “mighty hunter” and other nobles with ridding the land of predators), the wolf’s end freed up the English to transform their landscape – in a way not available to many other European countries, whose wolf populations were too large and interlinked to kill off – into “the biggest sheep farm in the world”. This turned England, in the Middle Ages, into a wealthy wool economy. It was an agricultural revolution, shaping everything from land ownership to diet to class structures to the architecture of the Cotswolds, and it happened not just because the landscape was now wolfless, but because “the country was made for grass”.

The same soil and climate that made growing grass so easy did the same for wheat – which, mainly in the form of bread, has been the staple of the English diet from the rise of agriculture to the present day, when we eat more wheat than ever. Add in the later discovery of coal, which was found in rich seams across the country, and which gave rise to the Industrial Revolution and the British Empire, and Winder suggests, only slightly playfully, that the English national character can be summed up by way of an algebraic equation: e = cw4: “Englishness equals coal x wool, wheat and wet weather.”
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 am

Wait, is this about climate abuse or Blood 'n' Soil? Or both?

:geek:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

Neither, read the post.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 am

Pakistani national character can be summed up by way of an algebraic equation: P(not "p" you fucking colonizing bigot)= bd4: “Pakistani equals berks x (muh)dick, disease, dysentery and deserted hell scapes.”

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:53 am

Englishness is the blood in your veins and the history of your people.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:58 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:53 am
Englishness is the blood in your veins and the history of your people.
The blood in my veins and others is a mixture of Celtic, Roman, Anglo Saxon, Norman and a miriad of other cultures.
England is built on that mixture.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 am

Fife wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm
Hey...

That's what I'm reading!
Except my copy is titled 12 Rules for Life...

I haven't got to "Wash your penis" yet...
What chapter is that?

I'm on Rule #8: "Tell the truth."

But seriously.... I like this book so far.
It's a pretty good review of the western spiritual tradition, translated for our times...
Peterson has come down off the mountain with 12 reconstructed commandments.
He is trying to save western culture from itself... and it's new golden calves.

Peterson knows his Jung and Freud, his enlightenment philosophers, his Nietsche and Dostoevsky and most certainly his bible.

His critique is biting and constructive.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 am