Jim Talbot

Martin Hash

Jim Talbot

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:55 am

30.jpg
05.jpg
Captured - Jim Talbot.jpg
Many 3D artists primarily create still images. A still can certainly tell a story, and it isn’t distracting as a screen-saver. It’s also interesting that a certifiably excellent still is ruined if it is part of a subpar animation. Think about it, a beautiful picture, one good enough to hang in your home, losses its appeal if it is part of a sloppily done animation?! Because of this, illustrators tended to stay away from animation. A:M certainly had its base split between illustrators & animators, and each group used a different part of the program.

During the heyday of “Art Contests,” there were sometimes over 50 entries! Even with 4 winners, it was sometimes the case that wasn’t enough – there were more fabulous pictures worthy of top honors. There were the usual suspects in the winners category but one artist stands out: Jim Talbot. Jim started sending art into Hash during the late 90s, in the days of 486s, and his “tests” caught my eye immediately. By the millennium, his pictures were among the best, eventually every image he created was the best – to me – we must have had the same sense of fantasy and imagination.

I got to know Jim: he contributed greatly to the Hash model libraries; he never asked for money; he came to a Hash Bash, and volunteered designs for Hash’s packaging, logo, and 3D movie, “Tin Woodman of Oz.” It was a major blow to Hash when Jim left. He never really had a logical reason for jumping ship – he was simply tired from the turmoil that always surrounded A:M. He tried to blame me, but at the end that’s what everybody did – my goodness, my name’s on the company and the product – who else ya gonna blame?!

Never-the-less, Jim’s artwork is still my favorite. In fact, I plan to hang one of his old pictures in my house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change