American Amusement in Singapore

Martin Hash

American Amusement in Singapore

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Universal Studios 1.JPG
Some societies are the very definition of the word "foreign" yet they are still attracted to American cultural icons & movies. More out of curiosity than excitement, my wife, Gwynne & I went to Universal Studios theme park on Sentosa Island, Singapore. We expected it to be busy because it was Chinese New Year, but would there be turkey legs? (Yes.) Would the rides be full of raucous teenagers? (No, mostly adults & young children.) Would there be a man in a velociraptor costume with English-speaking (but Asian accented) "trainer"? Check.
Universal Studios 5.JPG
We maneuvered ourselves into going to all the attractions we wanted to see. Everything was spotlessly clean, and we felt totally at home with American movie tropes, themed gift shops & Chunky Monkey ice cream. There were Transformers, Jurassic Park dinosaurs, Madagascar penguins, and most surprising, a "Waterworld" stunt show. (I liked it but that movie was decades ago?) The cab line to go home was the longest wait.
Universals Studios 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Re: American Amusement in Singapore

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 am

My folks lived in Singapore in the early 60's, my sister was born there and mum was pregnant with me by the time they returned home. They loved it, the house provided for them came with it's own resident parrot "Yogi", mum had a maid to help with the young baby and Dad helped run the local car club winning many trophies for vintage car rallies and auto-tests. The silver ashtray I'm using right now was one of his rally trophies from 1964.
Very different place now by all accounts. The whitewashed colonial houses have all been replaced by high rise buildings and the population has rocketed. A near police state with very severe punishments for anti-social behaviour including the lash for graffiti as one American 15yr old found out a few years ago and the death penalty for drug offences but very clean as you say........
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.