Martyrs on the Highway September 2, 2016

Martin Hash

Martyrs on the Highway September 2, 2016

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 am

Martyrs 1.JPG
Iran took some getting used to: my wife, Gwynne, had to wear a hijab & abaya, no alcohol, social media was blocked, and there were large pictures of Martyrs along the highway & in every town. The pictures were color portraits of handsome young men killed n the Iran-Iraq war, which was 3 decades ago. Sometimes there were a dozen martyr's pictures on a single sign, but 1 or 2 martyrs per lamppost was the most common. They were just as prevalent in the villages as in the cities but not with quite so many Iranian flags, maybe only 1 of 2 verses the scores of flags along the bridges & modern concrete overpasses of the cities.
Martyrs 2.JPG
After the eerie feeling of constantly being surrounded by the peering faces of dead people wore off, I actually started looking directly at them, imagining what kind of person they were, how they died, and how their families were impacted. I found that I admired their courage and knew that martyrs on the highway were serving their intended purpose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change