Ferghana Zoo & Circus (Uzbekistan) September 13, 2016

Martin Hash

Ferghana Zoo & Circus (Uzbekistan) September 13, 2016

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:39 am

Among all the zoos I've visited worldwide, the most endearing was The Ferghana Zoo in Uzbekistan. The cages had wheels and it was obviously a traveling circus with amusement rides, trapeze artists, trick motorcyclist, fire-breather, juggler & strongman. For the price equivalent to 50 cents, we entered through a hanging drapery into a small courtyard where dozens of children & their parents paraded around the small cages. For those in the West who are appalled by animals living their lives in small cages, the zoo was the epitome of every one of their sanctimonious stereotypes, but for the people of Uzbekistan, it is probably the only time any of them will see a tiger, bear or lions in real life, and they were the ones captivated.
Circus 1.JPG
Circus 2.JPG
Circus 3.JPG
Circus 4.JPG
The owner/operator of the "Terrarum," a collection of mostly empty cages in a painted bus, had his bed next to his prize 17-foot python," but the children were more entranced by the performing monkey who would respond by swatting at them when they banged on its cage. I smiled at the proprietor to let him know I appreciated the obvious affection & regard in which he held his lizards & birds. Outside the zoo, three small boys were peering in a hole in the fence at an emu whose enclosure was no larger than a small bathroom. The emu tried to peck at their eyes & the boys were absolutely thrilled. I bought cotton candy on s stick, a real stick which I kept as a souvenir of the best cotton candy I've ever had, at one of the most appropriate zoos I will ever see.
circus 5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change