Free Money

Martin Hash

Free Money

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm

This whole Corona virus scare (it has to be called something different on Social media or the message gets blocked, so I call it the "My Sharona Cyrus") crossed over into the absurd when people started hoarding toilet paper, and liquor stores and dope shops were consider “essential” businesses. The bait-and-switch of “flattening the curve” turning into “waiting for a vaccine” was also predictable: once politicians have unlimited power, some don't give it up voluntarily, especially it seems, if they are Democrats.

Toilet Paper.jpg

After the Lockdown occurred, forcing 50 million people onto Unemployment, and essentially bankrupting most of Small Business, Government passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act, and began handing out free money. First, there was the Economic Impact Payment; a $1200 Personal Stimulus check to everybody who had filed a tax return, dead or alive, American citizen or foreign national, and it didn't have to be paid back. Then there were a bunch of other free money programs, called Economic Injury Disaster Loans, that small businesses could get up to $10K that also didn't have to be paid back.

My son, Heath, was one of those who lost his job. He sent me a link to sign-up for our property management company for the $10K and to get Unemployment, with an entreaty to apply immediately because he needed the money. It was 10 pm the night before the program started when I got online, and before the rush that crashed that website for a couple days, I was able to successfully apply; I even got an application tracking number.

Tracking Number.PNG

At first, Heath asked every day if I'd heard anything, and I was sorry to tell him no, I hadn't. “But everyone I know is getting their free money,” he complained to me. “There's nothing I can do about getting free money,” I apologized. Renters were being excused from paying their landlords or making car payments, so there was no income for Heath. About a month later, after we heard about how big companies & institutions were getting giant free money payouts, I got an email from the SBA stating we only qualified for $1000, then we heard nothing for another month, when we received an email saying the $1000 would have to be paid back $5 per month for 30 years. By that time, Heath had already gone back to work. When I texted him about the 30 years, he responded “LOL.”

SBA Loan Approval.JPG

But ridiculous lockdowns based on fear didn't stop there. The very next day, my cellphone alert went off saying Portland, Oregon, my city, was imposing a mandatory curfew to stop the looting and violence. Who woulda thunk that keeping people locked up in their homes, losing their jobs, and forced to wear masks in the heat would flare into riots? There's just not enough free money in the world gonna stop that.

Curfew.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change