The Beatles

Martin Hash

The Beatles

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm

The 1960s was a transitional period much like today’s upheaval of Intersectionality which is intended to reverse control to the feminists, minorities & weirdos; exactly like what the Boomers did to previous generations. I can remember just becoming a teenager, when the mysteries of life could be found listening to headphones connected to the record player I'd been given as a gift for being a guest on The Art Linkletter Show. One group was at the forefront of grooviness: The Beatles. They started Metal, they started Psychedelic, they started drugs, they started rejection of religion; and they completely revolutionized society by 1969. I would spend hour-upon-hour listening to Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, and Let It Be, trying to decipher the lyrics as a way to understand what was going on around me. I proudly hung photographs of each Beatle and the poster from The White Album on the wall of my room.

Portraits s2.jpg

Like all kids that age, record shops were an end destination, and I would take every opportunity to thumb through the ranks of alphabetically-sorted albums looking for a cover that attracted my attention. I was still Mormon at the time, easily chagrined by scandal, but learning to know that was a good sign; it meant I was breaking out of my mental prison. One day in a record store on Sacramento's K Street Mall, I came across a John Lennon album that was covered in brown paper. John Lennon was the scariest of The Beatles because he was most provocative. Somebody had already broke the shrink-wrap so I was able to slip the album out of the obscuring paper and see why it needed to be covered up? I wasn't disappointed; from first glimpse, I knew I had to have it. It cost three-times as much as a regular record, $10, and I didn't have that much with me, so I had to leave and hope nobody bought it before I could get back. They didn't...

John & Yoko.jpg

Believe it or not, that wasn't even the most startling Beatles cover! There's the famous 1966 cover photo deemed too graphic for American audiences because it featured the Fab Four posing with dismembered dolls together with cuts of meat. The original butchered babies theme was censored by retroactively pasting a more benign cover over the top. A “peel” is one of these rare original covers with the paste-over peeled off. I'd been wanting a copy ever since I heard about it, decades, but even though I bid for one hundreds of times on ebay, I just wasn't willing to spend the money the things were going for. Then along came Corona virus, and everybody else's priorities changed but not mine so call me a proud owner of The Beatles "Butcher Cover."

Beatles 'Butcher Cover' s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

GloryofGreece

Re: The Beatles

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Martin how boring is it counting money? Lol. Are you quarantining your kith and kin?
The good, the true, & the beautiful