Star Wars

Martin Hash

Star Wars

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:24 am

I can still remember in 1977 driving on Fulton Ave in Sacramento past the new Century 21 movie theater and being startled by the marque sign saying “STAR WARS” in big black letters. I’d never heard of the movie but with a name like that, it had to be good. I started hearing about how popular Star Wars was, with lines going around the block, and after a couple attempts I got to see it in a matinee. It was okay, and the space ships were spectacular, but the story was worse than juvenile. I was a sophisticated science fiction reader at the time and I was sure Harlan Ellison would have hated Star Wars. By the end of that first trilogy, I was done, and when the Ewoks movie came on TV, I thought the franchise was toast, but it became such a cultural phenomenon that I just kept getting roped into seeing increasingly bad movies by my kids; we still have the original VHS, falling apart after decades.

VHS.jpg

In 1986, my family took a trip to the World Expo Vancouver, Canada. The first morning we passed a used bookstore near the gates, and I took my 5-year old son, Heath, in because there were used comic books in the window. My wife’s uncle who was with us said, “you’re letting a 5-year old walk around this store by himself?” I didn’t answer because I thought the question was rhetorical. I bought Star Wars 1-29 but decades later I still haven’t even read one. When Heath was in his twenties, he sold some of them on eBay but I still have a stack cluttering up the place.

Star Wars Comic Books.jpg
For Christmases and Thanksgivings, the whole family would get together, buy chintzy Star Wars t-shirts, and all sit in the front row watching that drek. Once we all saw it together on Christmas in Vietnam with Vietnamese subtitles. Last time I ate a pot brownie just to make it through. If anything, Star Wars has gotten even worse since Disney bought it, and I'm hoping I never have to see another one. Thing is, what are we going to watch on Christmas; superhero movies aren't any better?

T-Shirts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Re: Star Wars

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Modern American social and political unrest has been playing out in Star Wars over the last several years, and the Deplorables are winning.

It's a fun drama to watch. Kathleen Kennedy, Wammen power, Woke SW was rejected, while traditional merit based, masculine driven Favreau/Filoni Mandalorian has been embraced and celebrated.

Traditional SW has the upper hand right now, and Disney is trying to straddle the divide by letting the woke people do there thing, and letting traditionalists have there thing.

It's not over, and will continue to play out.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:52 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm
Modern American social and political unrest has been playing out in Star Wars over the last several years, and the Deplorables are winning.

It's a fun drama to watch. Kathleen Kennedy, Wammen power, Woke SW was rejected, while traditional merit based, masculine driven Favreau/Filoni Mandalorian has been embraced and celebrated.

Traditional SW has the upper hand right now, and Disney is trying to straddle the divide by letting the woke people do there thing, and letting traditionalists have there thing.

It's not over, and will continue to play out.
I can’t imagine they stay with the ‘woke’ universe after that kind of rejection. They spent many times more on those movies, but Mandalorian is the only thing anyone cares about (and Rogue One).
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Disney leadership fully supported woke SW, but it's a money loser and they know it.

The fans want the SW given to them in the Mandalorian........ SPOILER WARNING

The Return of Luke Skywalker has the SW fan base more excited than theyve been in maybe 3 decades. It was well done. How can they not give the fans more and cash in.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm

No doubt, but they have to do better than a stiff mannequin. I’d bet they do an animated spinoff and mandalorian goes on without him.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm
No doubt, but they have to do better than a stiff mannequin. I’d bet they do an animated spinoff and mandalorian goes on without him.
Not sure how they will handle it, but they will resurrect Luke to an honorable position, if for no other reason, that's where the money is.

Mark Hamill, who eventually was forced to accept woke SW has flipped with all this fan support.

This has shown that the Achilles of the woke crowd is our money. We need to leverage that in everything we do.
PLATA O PLOMO

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm

I don’t think the Commies need money; they’re hooked into the money machine: China.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm
Not sure how they will handle it, but they will resurrect Luke to an honorable position, if for no other reason, that's where the money is.

Mark Hamill, who eventually was forced to accept woke SW has flipped with all this fan support.

This has shown that the Achilles of the woke crowd is our money. We need to leverage that in everything we do.
This. We need to keep repeating "Get Woke Go Broke" until it becomes a cliché repeated in every business school and boardroom in the world like TANSTAAFL in the '80s.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Disney has lost 2.2 Billion dollars so far on the SW investment.
https://bleedingfool.com/blogs/has-disn ... -purchase/

What's amazing is, that wasn't enough to get Kathleen Kennedy fired, but it has thankfully killed future movies based on her shitty characters, most notably Mary Sue Rey.

Apparently the merchandising of the new films has failed, kids aren't asking for toys and gear from woke SW. No kids want Rey, Finn or Po toys. The kids know the characters and story suck.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm

This guy nailed it perfectly.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace