Turn On My TV

Martin Hash

Turn On My TV

Post by Martin Hash » Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm

I can turn on the TV at my house. I know that sounds like an insignificant thing but I assure you it isn't. For example, neither my son nor my wife can turn on the TV, and my daughter, Heather, doesn't know how to make Chromecast work... But I do. This is important for you to know because it puts my latest accomplishment into perspective; you see, I was able to get my video camera working. I'm pretty sure not even Heather could do that.

It all started when I wanted to make a political video announcing my candidacy for the U.S. House of Representative from Washington State. Woohoo! I bought a new lavalier microphone, some real studio lights instead of the auto repair lights I've used for years, and a new Canon video camera, the cheapest one with WiFi. WiFi is key here because I do all my recording solo, so I need to remote control the camera from my iPhone. I know, it sounds complicated, but remember I know how to turn on my TV. Unfortunately, all that TV-turning on knowledge didn't help, so I couldn't get the camera to work. I Googled and Googled but everyone else apparently just gave up and bought Android phones. That's not me; I'm a problem solver; I can turn on my TV.

A quick rundown might be in order for you to follow my tracks:
First, the App store had something called “Canon Camera Connect.” Wow, I thought, this is going to be simple, but after 2 hours, Camera Connect still wasn't connecting. YouTube video after YouTube video was useless. Finally, I re-clicked on a video that I'd started earlier but it had a Middle-Aged woman giving instructions in her closet or something; I figured for sure she couldn't turn on my TV, plus, she was a dink, trying all kinds of useless stuff, but I was desperate, and you know what, she figured it out. She was a clever ol' gal, so I finally was able to get the app to run, I clicked on the remote control function and: “This device is not supported.” WTH!

I was going to return that SOB camera. How much time can they expect a guy who can turn on his TV to spend anyway?! After calming down a bit, I thought, how could this brand new WiFi camera possible not have a remote option. Bullshit. I Googled specifically, asking if it did. YES! It was in the specs. But how? I went to the Canon website. It was one of those type-in your question things ran by a bot. I tried to succinctly describe my problem: “How do I use my iPhone to control my camera?”
“First download the app,” it answered.
“I already did on my iPhone.”
“Launch the app from Android,” it said.
“I have an iPhone.”
“Do you have any other information before connecting to support personnel?” it asked.
“I have an iPhone.”
“Connecting. You will be charged $5 per question, refundable on your next purchase.”

I slam-clicked that box closed, and the anger was back. I'm returning this f****** camera!
Then... Then I thought of the kooky woman in her closet. I couldn't believe what I was doing but I searched for her on YouTube and she had more videos, one about remote control on my camera. Apprehensively, I clicked her up. Her video was horrible: she diddling around for 5 minutes, I was thinking, woman learn how to edit, but I persevered, and she did too. My goodness, this woman tried everything, including looking up other iPhone remote control programs that may be for Canon but wouldn't show up in the App Store for some reason, and she found one! It was called “Canon CameraAccess” but if you included “Canon” in the search criteria, it wouldn't show. Ta-da, Middle-aged woman ruled.

Everything worked. I was all ready and I made my solo political video. That gal can turn on my TV anytime.
Announcement pic.JPG
http://www.martinhash.com/politics/2018 ... cement.mp4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

skankhunt42

Re: Turn On My TV

Post by skankhunt42 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I hope you win. I'd rather have someone like you who's passionate about society, politics, and culture, but also has lived several lives with your skill set versus a lifetime politician. I enjoyed the story. :lol:
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri May 11, 2018 12:01 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:I hope you win. I'd rather have someone like you who's passionate about society, politics, and culture, but also has lived several lives with your skill set versus a lifetime politician.
Thanks, Skank, I rarely hear that.

People ask me why I run for office: I tell them because if I don't then the nincompoops win by default. At least this way people have a choice for competence, they just don't choose it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 13, 2018 4:22 am

MHF goes to Washington.... the dawn of a new era.

Seriously, don’t let Nuke anywhere near your platform :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0