Living In The Bronx

brewster

Re: Living In The Bronx

Post by brewster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 pm

MilSpecs wrote: It takes about 45 minutes for me to get through the Lincoln Tunnel if I don't hit big traffic.
What time of day would that be? I live 1/2 mile from the Holland Tunnel and if I tried to get in at 8:30 am it might take me 45 minutes! It usually takes me about an hour to get to Frenchtown.

StA, I'm not up on all everyone's personal stuff, but IIRC you don't currently work, do you? Most places that look like that don't have a lot of jobs. But there are people who could live anywhere who choose to live in the city. It just a fact. And no, you don't "have to cultivate an asshole/bitch personality to avoid getting hassled/panhandled/steamrolled/mugged by other people". My Midwestern born wife is one of the nicest people in the world, and a New Yorker for 25 years. She does not have a nasty "city attitude". I won't say it doesn't exist, if you won't say the nasty redneck doesn't exist. Both are small minorities in my experience, I've spent a lot of recreation time in Appalachia from Tennessee to Mass.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm

brewster wrote:
MilSpecs wrote: It takes about 45 minutes for me to get through the Lincoln Tunnel if I don't hit big traffic.
What time of day would that be? I live 1/2 mile from the Holland Tunnel and if I tried to get in at 8:30 am it might take me 45 minutes! It usually takes me about an hour to get to Frenchtown.

StA, I'm not up on all everyone's personal stuff, but IIRC you don't currently work, do you? Most places that look like that don't have a lot of jobs. But there are people who could live anywhere who choose to live in the city. It just a fact. And no, you don't "have to cultivate an asshole/bitch personality to avoid getting hassled/panhandled/steamrolled/mugged by other people". My Midwestern born wife is one of the nicest people in the world, and a New Yorker for 25 years. She does not have a nasty "city attitude". I won't say it doesn't exist, if you won't say the nasty redneck doesn't exist. Both are small minorities in my experience, I've spent a lot of recreation time in Appalachia from Tennessee to Mass.

Well, to be fair, it's not a "nasty city attitude". That's just New Yorkers. Chicagoans aren't assholes by nature like that. It's just you guys.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Well, to be fair, I just took a shit in a ziplock bag, and that is probably the only impressive thing I've done today.
Shikata ga nai

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

brewster wrote:
I only go on off hours, but I live closer to the city than frenchtown. This points out something about my area though: we're close enough to PA that we could go to Philly almost as easily as NYC, depending on what part of the county you live in.
:royalty-queen:

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:20 pm

heydaralon wrote:Well, to be fair, I just took a shit in a ziplock bag, and that is probably the only impressive thing I've done today.
That is impressive. I don't think I could hit that target, or not shart and have it spray all over.

So, Chicagoans are nice but prone to shoot each other while NYers are assholes who don't. Interesting. I know it's unconvincing but most people are nice, it just takes one of the hundreds of people you might encounter in a day to make you think they're all assholes. One asshole standing in front of the door to the train doesn't make everyone on the train an asshole, just him.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm

heydaralon wrote: I don't have it all figured out, or anything close, but NYC would be so unlike anything I'm used to, that I can't imagine living there. The congestion seems insane, and from what ex residents tell me you have to cultivate an asshole/bitch personality to avoid getting hassled/panhandled/steamrolled/mugged by other people. It seems exciting, but I can't see myself living there. But you like it, overall?
I actually wouldn't live there again. I find it overwhelming and I couldn't live that lifestyle anymore. That said, you don't have to be nasty to live in NYC.
:royalty-queen:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
heydaralon wrote: I don't have it all figured out, or anything close, but NYC would be so unlike anything I'm used to, that I can't imagine living there. The congestion seems insane, and from what ex residents tell me you have to cultivate an asshole/bitch personality to avoid getting hassled/panhandled/steamrolled/mugged by other people. It seems exciting, but I can't see myself living there. But you like it, overall?
I actually wouldn't live there again. I find it overwhelming and I couldn't live that lifestyle anymore. That said, you don't have to be nasty to live in NYC.
You may have answered it earlier in the thread, but where did you grow up in nyc?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

heydaralon wrote:Well, to be fair, I just took a shit in a ziplock bag, and that is probably the only impressive thing I've done today.

You're like one step away from being a New Yorker now.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm

brewster wrote:
That is impressive. I don't think I could hit that target, or not shart and have it spray all over.

So, Chicagoans are nice but prone to shoot each other while NYers are assholes who don't. Interesting. I know it's unconvincing but most people are nice, it just takes one of the hundreds of people you might encounter in a day to make you think they're all assholes. One asshole standing in front of the door to the train doesn't make everyone on the train an asshole, just him.

Black people
are prone to shooting each other. Your blacks shoot each other too. Don't try to snow us.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

You're like one step away from being a New Yorker now.
I am gonna clique up with the decepticons when I get to NYC, and then you and everyone else on this forum will start giving me the respect that I deserve. Seriously, you, Shia, and Optimus, and Bumblebee better tool up if you want to step to me and the D-boys.
Shikata ga nai