Living In The Bronx

MilSpecs

Re: Living In The Bronx

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Fife wrote:Ugh.

Show me a yankee who can't wait to GTFO of that shithole country.

Show me one.
Where I live is what people imagine where you live is like. Zero crime rate, great schools, and very low poverty rate. Friendly people - we even love our tourists. It has its faults but I don't know anywhere else that has as few faults.
:royalty-queen:

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 pm

My goodness, I hated it. Definitely an example of Red State vs Blue State divide.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:02 pm

come at me
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 pm

brewster wrote:
MilSpecs wrote: I left it out of the equation because he said NYC and I'd have to write another long post about NJ. There is, of course, nowhere else to live except for Hunterdon. Although if I fell into a pile of money I'd have a place in Morristown as well. Take that, Chatham and Madison. :P
Hunterdon is lovely horse country, but a bear if you're commuting! These discussions have to be holistic, not "but my mortgage in the middle of nowhere is $700". People who work need to be near their jobs. And some people choose not to spend 3-4 hrs (or more) of their day commuting, which is where city living comes in. My wife walks to work, I work at home but can jump on the train to see my clients in NYC. Some people don't value walkable neighborhoods, but many do. What's the "walkscore" of your neighborhoods? Https://www.walkscore.com/

Fife, most of the people I know love living here and would not trade it for a McMansion in some southern exurb.
It takes about 45 minutes for me to get through the Lincoln Tunnel if I don't hit big traffic. I get the lack of commutability is usually a deal breaker. I'm small town, though, so all sidewalks and I used to walk downtown every day - which took 45 minutes some days because I had to stop and talk to my neighbors along the way. Go figure.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

come at me
Beautiful. Reminds me of home.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Martin Hash wrote:My goodness, I hated it. Definitely an example of Red State vs Blue State divide.
Which place?

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 pm

MilSpecs wrote:

Show me one.
Where I live is what people imagine where you live is like. Zero crime rate, great schools, and very low poverty rate. Friendly people - we even love our tourists. It has its faults but I don't know anywhere else that has as few faults.

OK, white privilege gurl . . . what are the "faults" you know about?

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Martin Hash wrote:My goodness, I hated it. Definitely an example of Red State vs Blue State divide.

False dichotomy fallacy,

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Fife wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

Show me one.

OK, white privilege gurl . . . what are the "faults" you know about?
Which place?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
heydaralon wrote:This may be a question that Milspecs can answer, but aside from Manhattan, which is the best place to live in NYC? I've heard Staten Island is one of the least prestigious, but thats where I'd want to live if I had to pick. Low population density is a win imo.
Staten Island is too hard to commute from and I personally don't like the vibe but it's close to the suburban experience. If I was raising kids and had to live in NYC (but didn't have the money for a nice place in the other boroughs) I'd look in Staten Island. Many of my relatives live there and have a typical suburban lifestyle.

Brooklyn would be a strong choice, but it's very expensive to live in a nice neighborhood. I'm from Sunset Park under the el (I'm specifying the neighborhood because a lot of people don't know 3rd avenue under the gowanus is actually considered part of Sunset Park). It's an industrial area that was always considered a 'bad neighborhood,' but has been rapidly gentrifying in recent years. It has easy access to the subway and will probably appreciate in value.

The Bronx would be my first choice for a borough (Inwood, one of my old stomping grounds, is often considered as part of the Bronx although it's actually Manhattan). I'm more familiar with the west side so I'll stick with that. Riverdale is very expensive so probably out of reach. Van Cortland park to marble hill is extremely commutable, but the A train starts in Inwood so a transfer is usually necessary. I've lived in riverdale on the Yonkers border and over the line in Yonkers. The neighborhoods are night and day.

You can actually live in Westchester and more easily commute into NYC than many parts of NYC itself. Very expensive but very nice. I'm leaving NJ out of the equation altogether, although I have opinions. ;)

I don't have it all figured out, or anything close, but NYC would be so unlike anything I'm used to, that I can't imagine living there. The congestion seems insane, and from what ex residents tell me you have to cultivate an asshole/bitch personality to avoid getting hassled/panhandled/steamrolled/mugged by other people. It seems exciting, but I can't see myself living there. But you like it, overall?
Shikata ga nai