Superforecaster

Martin Hash

Superforecaster

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 am

Good Judgment 2.JPG
I'm an aspiring “Superforcaster.” I might even already be a Superforcaster, I'm not quite sure how the title is awarded, but whatever, if there's some forecasting, I want to be super at it. Luckily, an organization popped-up that's all about telling the future, in a good way. The idea is that crowds are prescient, and the way that statistics work, there's going to be a few folks at the extreme right tail of the distribution of predictions that are close to perfect seers & revelators. The more I learned, the larger the concept got, in fact, there's an entire Prediction Market, but specifically, my involvement is with the Good Judgment Project.
Predictions.JPG
I first heard about the Good Judgment research via a podcast interviewing Dr. Philip Tetlock. He sounded handsome, and I've always fancied myself handsome, so I Googled it and signed up. This was back at the end of 2015, and of the dozen or so questions, I answered a handful, yes or no, giving each a probability. The questions were topical, and not too hard to predict: most things continue as they are due to inertia, so I answered accordingly with some amount of confidence. One question was whether Trump would be the presidential nominee; this was early when everyone else still thought he was a joke candidate, but not me, “hell, yeah, Trump will win,” I thought. I gave that a 70% chance, even better if he ran for president. However, predicting actually isn't all that fun, so after the one engagement, I clicked Close on the webpage, and never attempting fortune-telling again: turns out I'm not much of an oracle.
Predictions 2.JPG
Occasionally, a “Good Judgment” email would show up in my Spam folder, and one caught my eye. It got me clicking the link to the results of my predictions of over a year ago. Turns out I got most of my predictions correct, albeit a small number, and because I'd placed such big bets, especially on Trump, I was on my way to becoming a “Superforcaster,” I think, can't really tell, maybe it was a scam and they just want money, but anybody who knows me can predict how that's going to turn out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Ex-California

Re: Superforecaster

Post by Ex-California » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 am

This is pretty cool. Can anyone sign up?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 am

California wrote:This is pretty cool. Can anyone sign up?
Use your predictive powers to answer that question.

Or Google.
:twisted:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 am

I don’t use Google anymore because of James Damore
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 pm

#remember
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751