Getting Famous

Martin Hash

Getting Famous

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:29 am

Famous.jpg
For several decades, since I was a kid really, I had a long Bucket-list of things I wanted to do, which I finished before I turned 60. There was the sense of elation I expected but also an odd sense of loss, and something I'd never experienced before, the feeling of being adrift, a lack of focus; it was quite eerie. I mentioned what I was going through and somebody said, simply, “start a new Bucket-list.” Well, I wasn't going to do that, five decades is long enough, but the idea of a list of impossible things that might cross my path, something I could imagine but not necessarily be personally responsible for achieving, might be fun?

Let's see, I'd already made some movies, I'd already traveled the world, I'd already owned a Ferrari, a couple actually, and I'd already flown airplanes, but what I hadn't done was become famous. Oh, I was infinitesimally famous for a while, even got written about in newspapers & magazines, been on TV, and people occasionally asked for my autograph, but that never led to anyone to ask for my opinion about anything, I wasn't famous enough for people to care what I thought.
Newspaper.jpg
I considered all the ways other people had gotten famous, and many of those weren't going to work for me, (Paris Hilton came to mind). I don't own a gun, so clock-towers were out; walking to the South Pole is way too cold; I'd parachute from space but that's been done; and I'll be damned if I'm going to Bruce Jenner it, neither the young decathlon Olympic Gold winner, nor the old “I say I'm a woman now even though I still have my dick.” Apparently, getting famous involves things I'd rather not do.

Then there's the question about how much fame is too much: Tom Cruise & Michael Jordan can't buy a six-pack at the local market; the narcissism to be Donald Trump is beyond human imagination; and I just don't have the gift of conversation required if another person was growing out of my body. It's either too little or too much: apparently, I'm the Goldilocks of fame, and getting it just right probably ain't gonna happen before the bears get home.
Goldilocks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change