Metahood

katarn

Re: Metahood

Post by katarn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I think Fife was meaning to obliquely ask, "What measurable qualifications make you a meta?"
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I am more interested in stoics now.
You should write & article & make a list of possibilities. Some people get their inspiration from sports figures & movie stars, others from those who will burn themselves alive, you might be a fan of Hercules because muscles make the man.

p.s. In case it was unclear, I'm impressed by measurable accomplishments, like degrees, licenses, countries traveled, business management, art produced, money made, families raised, social contributions, demonstrated wisdom, and collections of obscure & arcane things. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, I am impressed by accomplishments too. But, for me, if I were to define meta, it's somebody who operates outside the common paradigms, not necessarily somebody who is successful. The Iceman is a huge meta as far as I am concerned. The arch-meta would be somebody like Tesla.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 pm

katarn wrote:I think Fife was meaning to obliquely ask, "What measurable qualifications make you a meta?"
Start with a Renaissance Myn then add salt.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I am more interested in stoics now.
You should write & article & make a list of possibilities. Some people get their inspiration from sports figures & movie stars, others from those who will burn themselves alive, you might be a fan of Hercules because muscles make the man.

p.s. In case it was unclear, I'm impressed by measurable accomplishments, like degrees, licenses, countries traveled, business management, art produced, money made, families raised, social contributions, demonstrated wisdom, and collections of obscure & arcane things. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, I am impressed by accomplishments too. But, for me, if I were to define meta, it's somebody who operates outside the common paradigms, not necessarily somebody who is successful. The Iceman is a huge meta as far as I am concerned. The arch-meta would be somebody like Tesla.
That's why you need to define your own term. I can only carry you so far with my determinations.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
How many merit badges does it take to be an Eagle Scout? Or is that even the right metric?

Box checkers gonna check dem boxes.
My kids were both Eagle Scouts, and their cousin. How about you?
Don't be so aggressive. We didn't have Eagle Scouts, or Boy Scouts, or any of that uniformed jazz out in the boonies where I was born and raised. If my jab about Austrian "box-checking" hit a little close, sorry dude, my bad. Check dem boxes, never mind me.
Hey, I write an article, you kibitz, who reading this doesn't know where the boxes are checked?

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: My kids were both Eagle Scouts, and their cousin. How about you?
Don't be so aggressive. We didn't have Eagle Scouts, or Boy Scouts, or any of that uniformed jazz out in the boonies where I was born and raised. If my jab about Austrian "box-checking" hit a little close, sorry dude, my bad. Check dem boxes, never mind me.
Hey, I write an article, you kibitz, who reading this doesn't know where the boxes are checked?
Hey, I can't argue with box-checking, it got me where I am. Your chillruns will check the ever-loving shit out of your boxes, I'm sure.

You can, with certainty, count on me not interfering. I wish you nothing but the best.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Hey, I can't argue with box-checking, it got me where I am. Your chillruns will check the ever-loving shit out of your boxes, I'm sure.

You can, with certainty, count on me not interfering. I wish you nothing but the best.
Of course you do, that's why you wrote that.

p.s. I'm just amazed how much this concept gets people's hackles up? No, really, I find it fascinating. I don't know if this crowd is better or worse than out in The Wild but I'll bet you guys are a breeze compared to the envy & resentment of Gen-Pop.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:13 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: Hey, I write an article, you kibitz, who reading this doesn't know where the boxes are checked?

p.s. I'm just amazed how much this concept gets people's hackles up? No, really, I find it fascinating. I don't know if this crowd is better or worse than out in The Wild but I'll bet you guys are a breeze compared to the envy & resentment of Gen-Pop.
Perhaps it's not envy and resentment, but a general disdain for those demanding acknowledgement.

Degrees are not the measure of success. They're a measure of the money spent on universities.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:

Perhaps it's not envy and resentment, but a general disdain for those demanding acknowledgement.

Degrees are not the measure of success. They're a measure of the money spent on universities.
Dude, I'm looking for Metas, and those are the signs I'm using, right or wrong. Just mentioning them triggers some deep-seated psychological insecurity in you, and others, says a lot.

p.s. I learned that lesson here. Better here than in Gen-Pop. Take that as a kudo.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
How many merit badges does it take to be an Eagle Scout? Or is that even the right metric?

Box checkers gonna check dem boxes.
My kids were both Eagle Scouts, and their cousin. How about you?

Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts generally suck in the woods. FACT
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience