Metahood

Martin Hash

Metahood

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

In the spectrum of human achievements, some people's success can only be explained through amazing, miraculous luck, or something we don't quite understand. I suspect there are people in the world who operate at the next level. Regular folks have always recognized this and commonly chase after spiritual leaders who have supposedly achieved enlightenment & wisdom, but if you don't believe in mysticism, if you are a person of science, then how do you explain Donald Trump? "Meta" is as good a word as any; it has a long history in terms like metaphysics, and certainly has been explored extensively in comic lore, but is it real, or is it just wishful thinking?

A Meta is a level of awareness & all-round intellectual capability that the vast majority of people don't currently possess, outside of imaginative stories. How would you recognize if someone was a Meta? What would the signs be? It seems like they would leave a trail, can be identified by the number of things they're good at, and by their inexplicable success, so I'm trying to make a list of candidates to check my hypothesis against. Benjamin Franklin & Theodore Roosevelt were obviously Metas, and there were certainly others, but most historical figures are too subject to romancing by their biographer. Some people are famous but even a short Wiki read unmasks them. Isaac Newton, for example, was a singularity, and deserves reverence, but he's certainly not the epitome of human insight, self-awareness, and universal accomplishment. In fact, it would be interesting to see how a lot of famous scientists in history would stack up to modern brain-trusts. Benjamin Franklin seems like he'd kick ass no matter what generation we're talking about, but most of the others are not that impressive outside The One Thing they're known for, and it's hard enough trying to figure it out now, let alone someone wrapped in mythology.

It seems reasonable that if there were Metas in the past, we have them today, but people tend to discount the accomplishments of the living because their own, or lack thereof, seem diminished in comparison. I've tried anyway; for example, here's a list of famous people that are probably Metas, if there is such a thing: Steve Jobs, Scott Adams, Mark Wahlberg, Bill Clinton, Vladimir Putin, Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Seth MacFarlane, Joe Rogan, Dr. Dre.
Richard Branson.jpg
Elon Musk.jpg
I'm not just looking for Metas among famous people. For example, people with simultaneous doctorates in science, medicine & law are also good candidates, of which there are a couple dozen in the world. Of these, Donald Holmquest, who was also an astronaut, is probably a Meta. Plus, there are other almost famous people who are also strong possibilities, like Physics Nobel Prize winner Robert Laughlin, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for? Every time I really dig into somebody's personality, they seem odd but not obviously superior. Maybe wisdom isn't a defining quality? Possibly their insight is in another area that I can't recognize because I don't have it. I wish I could have a 10-minute conversation with each of these people so see if Metahood manifests itself like a halo.
Donald Holmquest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Metahood

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Meta is in the eye of the beholder.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am

Just take some of this:

it's free and natural.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Meta is in the eye of the beholder.
Very much so.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 pm

katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Meta is in the eye of the beholder.
Very much so.
That's untrue. You may have your own term for exemplary achievement, and may decide that BB-stacking defines your ideal candidate, but "Meta" is mine, and as such I get to provide the definition.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 pm

I am more interested in stoics now.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I am more interested in stoics now.
You should write & article & make a list of possibilities. Some people get their inspiration from sports figures & movie stars, others from those who will burn themselves alive, you might be a fan of Hercules because muscles make the man.

p.s. In case it was unclear, I'm impressed by measurable accomplishments, like degrees, licenses, countries traveled, business management, art produced, money made, families raised, social contributions, demonstrated wisdom, and collections of obscure & arcane things. Your mileage may vary.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
You should write & article & make a list of possibilities. Some people get their inspiration from sports figures & movie stars, others from those who will burn themselves alive, you might be a fan of Hercules because muscles make the man.

p.s. In case it was unclear, I'm impressed by measurable accomplishments, like degrees, licenses, countries traveled, business management, art produced, money made, families raised, social contributions, demonstrated wisdom, and collections of obscure & arcane things. Your mileage may vary.
How many merit badges does it take to be an Eagle Scout? Or is that even the right metric?

Box checkers gonna check dem boxes.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

How many merit badges does it take to be an Eagle Scout? Or is that even the right metric?

My kids were both Eagle Scouts, and their cousin. How about you?

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Fife wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: You should write & article & make a list of possibilities. Some people get their inspiration from sports figures & movie stars, others from those who will burn themselves alive, you might be a fan of Hercules because muscles make the man.

My kids were both Eagle Scouts, and their cousin. How about you?
Don't be so aggressive. We didn't have Eagle Scouts, or Boy Scouts, or any of that uniformed jazz out in the boonies where I was born and raised. If my jab about Austrian "box-checking" hit a little close, sorry dude, my bad. Check dem boxes, never mind me.