Real Coins

heydaralon

Real Coins

Post by heydaralon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Thread for people to post about their real coins.

I have a shitload of real American Pennies in the cupholder of my car, including a rare 1982 one. That year, the federal mint only printed coins with that number on it. Oddly enough, the number seems to match the year it was minted. Often currencies have mysterious codes like that on them. Could be worth some serious dough.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Re: Real Coins

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 pm

So, you're one of the lucky ones with an original 1982
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 pm

C-Mag wrote:So, you're one of the lucky ones with an original 1982
I won't know how much its worth until I take it to a appraiser. Even then, there's really no way of knowing.
Shikata ga nai

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 am

I have a few electroplated golden pennies. Are those worth more than your 1982 penny?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 am

I notice the flattened novelty pennies are making a comeback. Does putting a Mercury dime on the railroad tracks increase its value?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm

heydaralon wrote:Thread for people to post about their real coins.

I have a shitload of real American Pennies in the cupholder of my car, including a rare 1982 one. That year, the federal mint only printed coins with that number on it. Oddly enough, the number seems to match the year it was minted. Often currencies have mysterious codes like that on them. Could be worth some serious dough.
I'm dead.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:44 pm

I shit you not guys- I carry one of these around in my wallet all the time:

This thread is hilarious.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 pm

From my book, "Memoirs of an Old Cyber-Cowboy."

I love old coins. I still have my first “Coin Guide 1970” book, and though I don’t necessarily “collect” coins, I have a gold coin watch, a silver dollar belt buckle, and a Buffalo nickel bolo tie I wear all the time. I also carry bills in my wallet that are novel because they have messages on them: two bills have rubber-stamped thought balloons next to George Washington’s mouth that say “I grew hemp” – one printed in purple ink the other in red. Another bill says “Legalize It” along with the distinctive image of a marijuana leaf. One has a “See where I’ve been. Track where I go next! www.wheresgeorge.com” stamp (serial number: L60837476T). Someone wrote “Anyone who receives this bill will be blessed with a lot of money if you write this saying on 10 other bills” around the border of one. My favorite is a purple rubber stamp that says, “When the last fish is caught… When the last river poisoned… When the last tree is cut… Only then will you find… You Cannot eat money… Indian Cree Prophecy.”
My son, Heath, and I went to lunch at the little Mexican food stand down the street from the office. We go there because the food is cheap but even so, I was 60 cents short. “I guess I’ll have to give up on one of the tacos,” I said.
“Why don’t you use one of those stupid dollar bills you drag around?” asked Heath.
I told Heath how, when I was in Boy Scouts, our assistant Scout Master carried a Mercury dime in his wallet just in case he needed to make a phone call. “He’d had it in there so long, you could see the Mercury head imprint in the leather,” I elaborated.
“What are you talking about, Dad?” Heath responded curtly. “It costs at least 50 cents to make a phone call, and they don’t take bills, and what’s that got to do with buying a taco? Gimme one of those dollar bills.”
Aghast, I refused. “These aren’t for spending – they’re for lookin’ at!”
We left the Mexican place shy one taco.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:48 pm

"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm

One of my old sets:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollar ... eset/18371

Might be interesting to get back into it now that prices have collapsed.

One of them only has four coins graded better by PCGS and it's worth less than $100 now.

Might be a good time to invest.