Lost iPhone Yet Again

Martin Hash

Lost iPhone Yet Again

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 am

It seems poetic that my wife, Gwynne & I, were in Australia when her iPhone boomeranged back to her. On our first day in Sydney, we caught a cab at the Opera House to our cheesy hotel. We didn't have any Australian money so Gwynne paid with a credit card. She futzed around in the cab while I waited forever for the credit card receipt to print. Five minutes after we walked away she said, "I left my iPhone in the cab."
"Are you sure?" I asked.
She had that I-don't-know look on her face. I popped out my own iPhone, ran the "Find iPhone" app: the pin for my iPhone showed up immediately but the busy cursor kept spinning on hers, eventually indicating her phone was powered off.
"Was your phone on?" I asked.
"Yes."
"This is not good. Whoever has your iPhone went to the trouble of powering down so we couldn't locate it."
Gwynne had been around the Lost iPhone block before, and frowned at the ramifications.
"Do you remember the name of the cab company?" I asked.
Gwynne frowned again then her face snapped quizzical. "The receipt," she said. "The phone number will be on the credit card receipt."
Gwynne called the number. After some back-n-forth with the dispatcher, she was told, yes, our cabdriver had the iPhone, but he's on a fare and Gwynne will have to pay his way back.
"That sounds like extortion," Gwynne said to the dispatcher.
"Listen, do you want your phone back or not. The fare will only be what it costs to get where you are."
"I doubt that," Gwynne commented as she hung up.
After a while a cab showed up. It was our driver. He rolled down his window. "I have your iPhone," he said happily.
"Thank you for bringing it back," Gwynne replied. "How much do I owe you?"
"Well," he began cautiously, "I had a fare clear out in Neutral Bay."
"Of course you did."
"And, oh yeah, uhh, there was a bridge toll.... Two. Two bridge tolls."
"Of course there were. Anything else?"
Gwynne could see the cabbie was feverishly thinking of more feasible charges but his cunning failed him, and he just smiled wolfishly.
Gwynne forked over $100. She walked back to me.
"Cheap," she whispered as the cabbie drove away.
"Cheap," I agreed.
Lost iPhone Yet Again.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Re: Lost iPhone Yet Again

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 am

Typical Australians, the Gypsies of the South Pacific.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:49 am

I actually hoofed ten miles. I want my vape back. Wow that wws difficult:

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:53 am

Sometimes you just have to take your lumps and move on.

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Typical Australians, the Gypsies of the South Pacific.
I'm a bit surprised at my fellow Aussies here. Normally we would murder the tourists then steal the iphone and the $100.

We seem to be getting soft in our old age.
Carlin delenda est

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:19 am

Fucking bandits and pirates, man. It's in their genetics.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:22 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at my fellow Aussies here. Normally we would murder the tourists then steal the iphone and the $100.

With this being an Ashes year it's the tourists that will be doing the killing, on the wicket that is.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:42 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Manwithnoname wrote:

With this being an Ashes year it's the tourists that will be doing the killing, on the wicket that is.
Pray for rain, my friend. It's your only hope.
Carlin delenda est

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:05 am

Watering the wicket will help sure but even on your dry and dusty wickets I think we will have the better of you this year.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 am

Montegriffo wrote:Watering the wicket will help sure but even on your dry and dusty wickets I think we will have the better of you this year.
Dry and dusty???

Geez, have you ever watched a series here? Any English batsman that expects that here is going to get killed on the Gabba or the Waca. Sure we don't have the lush seamer paradises you have, but dry and dusty isn't the right words either. Fast and bouncy would be closer. But, hey, if you lot want to play off the front foot here go ahead, but I'd really hope your coach shows them what happened last time you tried.

To be fair though, we do the same over there - we play back foot on low seaming wickets and it kills us.
Carlin delenda est