BYOB

brewster

Re: BYOB

Post by brewster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Regional differences? Absent specific info contrary, I always bring a sixpack of good stuff to toss in the fridge or cooler. Friends do the same. We have a couple that like fancy corked Belgian ale, we actually brought back to their home a bottle they left at ours! I wasn't going to drink that stuff alone, and prefer IPA anyway. Everyone having their own cooler seems pretty odd though.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 pm

In the old days, a guest to dinner would bring the alcohol as a matter of tradition. He would show up with a bottle of wine or something like that, and it would go with the meal.

But the alcohol brought by the guest was shared by all. That was sort of the point, along with the food that was shared.

BYOB rules, when I was younger, tended to apply to gatherings outdoors that weren't so much a party but an informal gathering of clans of friends. Other than that, barracks operated like this.

Matt Campbell

Post by Matt Campbell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:12 am

I eventually figured out that you can never rely on a party or BBQ to provide drinks- so then amidst the regulars I became the guy who 'always brought a big cooler and would offer anyone a beer from my 30-pack on ice.' THEN- because you bring what some people consider 'cheap beer' (ie Miller High Life) people feel they can razz you for not bringing 'their' particular swill... and you get the 'got any lite beer? got any ice beer? got any microbrews?'

The trick is... leave the beer in the car and go in and sniff around to see if there is a keg or any house beer, then- ask if you can bring in your beer.

When you get caught looking in someone's cooler say 'we have that exact same cooler- I thought it was ours- sorrry!'

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am

Matt Campbell wrote:I eventually figured out that you can never rely on a party or BBQ to provide drinks- so then amidst the regulars I became the guy who 'always brought a big cooler and would offer anyone a beer from my 30-pack on ice.' THEN- because you bring what some people consider 'cheap beer' (ie Miller High Life) people feel they can razz you for not bringing 'their' particular swill... and you get the 'got any lite beer? got any ice beer? got any microbrews?'

The trick is... leave the beer in the car and go in and sniff around to see if there is a keg or any house beer, then- ask if you can bring in your beer.

When you get caught looking in someone's cooler say 'we have that exact same cooler- I thought it was ours- sorrry!'
Welcome to the Site !
Haven't seen you before............... enjoy the Free Speech Free Fire Zone that his MHF.

I just take beer to these things, often Whiskey too. I prefer sippin Whiskey and Water to getting bloated on beer. I piss less, stay hydrated, it's a win, win. Plus, your just walking around with the coffee tumbler filled with whiskey, water and ice. It's a great way to go.

I'm pretty sick of Microbrew snobs. They've become a pet peeve for me. My shop beer fridge is filled with domestic. PBR, Ranier, Bud, etc. The only Micro in there is when people leave it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Another great story Marty!

Yep the BYOB world I live in includes a general stash of drinks either provided by the host or conglomerated from guests who bring more than their share... which many do... the host often is left with quite a few beverages by the end of the night.

Some people bring wine to share and then share the beer others bring or vice-versa...

Pretty rare for a host to provide all the drinks except at a wedding or a relatively small gathering...

Never seen a party like the one you describe.

Getting snarked and shut down like that means you are at a really tight assed get together... might want to skip that event next time.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 pm

The problem was easy enough to solve. (Took DrY’s advice.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 am

Martin Hash wrote:(Took DrY’s advice.)
It's on your tab.

;)
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty