The Mess

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Mess

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Naval power isn't obsolete yet. It's isn't useless.
Ok. What can that thing do that I couldn't accomplish with the Army, Marines, and Air Force?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:41 am

You'd figure that one wouldn't have to argue that, but after that Submarines Are Obsolete thread on the DCF, I realize I merely under-estimated people's ignorance.
*yip*

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:42 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Ok. What can that thing do that I couldn't accomplish with the Army, Marines, and Air Force?
It can float.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 am

StCapps wrote:
You'd figure that one wouldn't have to argue that, but after that Submarines Are Obsolete thread on the DCF, I realize I merely under-estimated people's ignorance.
Submarines, I understand. Nuke deterrence and stuff.

I guess that my beef is with surface vessels only.
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Ok. What can that thing do that I couldn't accomplish with the Army, Marines, and Air Force?
It can float.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I stand corrected.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 am

It's a whole lot easier to move a carrier off the coast somewhere than to try to secure hostile ground and defend it while engineers take a week to build an airstrip. There is still plenty of use for surface vessels.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 am

Dude. 800 military bases across the globe. Where can we not launch a jet from, at this point?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Submarines, I understand. Nuke deterrence and stuff.

I guess that my beef is with surface vessels only..
Aircraft Carriers are surface vessels you know. Mobile air bases that can float aren't obsolete either, not by a long shot, they just aren't as important to modern warfare as they were during WWII, but they are hardly obsolete. Not all of American military bases around the world are as close to their targets as Aircraft Carriers can get to theirs, hence 800 military bases around the world hasn't rendered them obsolete.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:53 am

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Submarines, I understand. Nuke deterrence and stuff.

I guess that my beef is with surface vessels only..
Aircraft Carriers are surface vessels you know. Mobile air bases that can float aren't obsolete either, not by a long shot, they just aren't as important to modern warfare as they were during WWII, but they are hardly obsolete.
They seem extraneous, to say the least. The entire planet is within land-based range - especially for bombers. We were flying from Georgia to Iraq in a single mission in the 90s.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dude. 800 military bases across the globe. Where can we not launch a jet from, at this point?
You understand that you can throw a fence around a couple of cargo containers, leave two guys there to guard it, and call it an installation, right?

Fort Gillem and For MacPherson were "bases" in Atlanta. They were logistical installations. Supply dumps. You weren't launching any offensives from Gillem or Mac. "800 bases," doesn't mean a whole lot if you look with any scrutiny.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:57 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:They seem extraneous, to say the least. The entire planet is within land-based range - especially for bombers. We were flying from Georgia to Iraq in a single mission in the 90s.
Yeah but if the planes are launched from further away the enemy has more warning and it is harder to return safely to base. Mobile air bases that float can come in handy in such scenarios, don't front like they don't because they aren't as useful now that US has more ground based air bases worldwide, they still have their uses. Naval surface vessels being less useful than in their heyday hardly renders them obsolete.
*yip*