The Mess

Smitty-48

Re: The Mess

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Oh go on then, school me about the battle of Hong Kong then. I don't know anything about that.
Bloody disaster it was, the Government of Canada sends the troops to garrison Hong Kong, thinking it was going to be a quiet sector, so they sent them totally ill prepared into a trap from which there was no escape, when the enemy host fell upon them, the outcome was inevitable from the start, but they fought with valour through the horror of it, usque ad finem. Never shed a tear for Hiroshima nor Nagasaki, me, I assure you.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Pearl Harbor was only one attack that came around this time in 1941. They took a lot of Western held positions, including Hong Kong.
Oh yeah I knew about Singapore, was quite wrong about it in fact till it was discussed over on the DCF.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Oh go on then, school me about the battle of Hong Kong then. I don't know anything about that.
Bloody disaster it was, the Government of Canada sends the troops to garrison Hong Kong, thinking it was going to be a quiet sector, so they sent them totally ill prepared into a trap from which there was no escape, when the enemy host fell upon them, the outcome was inevitable from the start, but they fought with valour through the horror of it, usque ad finem. Never shed a tear for Hiroshima nor Nagasaki, me, I assure you.
Same sort of thing as Singapore then. British Empire totally underestimating the yellow peril.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:10 pm

I never call the Japanese "Yellow" that was one thing they were not, but ruthless, cruel, and totally lawless without restraint they were indeed, and upon the heads of my Canucks fell them without mercy, so every time I see Enola Gay, I blow a kiss to her, my avenger.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You better watch your numbers over there in the camp. Wouldn't wanna see you guys take a turn towards Andersonville.
Can't sustain that game on my own. My allies have deserted me. :hmph:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I never call the Japanese "Yellow" that was one thing they were not, but ruthless, cruel, and totally lawless without restraint they were indeed, and upon the heads of my Canucks fell them without mercy, so every time I see Enola Gay, I blow a kiss to her, my avenger.
I always assumed yellow peril referred to skin colour rather than cowardice.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm not one for racial epithets me self, or at least, delivered with malice or spite that is, and though I make no apologies for Curtis LeMay my avenger, all is square again between Nippon and we now, the Terrible Swift Sword brought down upon them, bill paid in full in fire and blood, I drive my Mitsubishi and Nissan proudly, with gratitude for their superb non unionized labours therein.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:34 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I never call the Japanese "Yellow" that was one thing they were not, but ruthless, cruel, and totally lawless without restraint they were indeed, and upon the heads of my Canucks fell them without mercy, so every time I see Enola Gay, I blow a kiss to her, my avenger.
In the 1932 Scarface yellow = coward. Anyone can explain that and hot relates to Far Easterners?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 am

That's not the origin of "yellow" meaning "coward", the term comes from "yellow belly" which is an old English epithet, came to America when it was applied to the Mexicans in the Mexican-American war, then became a general epithet for all enemies that America fought, from the 19th through to the 20th century.

"Yellow" races as an epithet for Asians is of other origin, I was merely playing on words, but as per usual, the DCFtards are nothing, if not obtuse.
Nec Aspera Terrent

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:45 am

The fall of Singapore is interesting. It's rare that such large force surrenders in military history. 85 000 British surrendering to an smaller force after basically few days of fighting (even if Yamashita had reinforcements on the way). The British suffered 5000 casualties, which is about 6% of the force. To compare this for example to Stalingrad, at the time of when Paulus surrendered every fourth Axis soldier in the pocket had been killed, with only 16% of the force, wounded, being airlifted to safety.