What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

clubgop

Re: What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by clubgop » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:18 am

Cid wrote:I know they matter in Maine and Nebraska, which between them have 8 electoral votes.

Ok, let me clarify if there was any confusion, census data, like the census data at census.gov is used for apportionment, right? Right.

So if undocumented residents are counted in the census, but they can't vote, they've boosted the voting power of those that can when seats are allocated.

Mind you, this helped Texas more than California last time,

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12 ... akeup.html

But it also means California's 55 votes probably shouldn't be 55 if you were to just count citizens.

So, by proxy the census and undocumented workers fuck with the election by fucking with the number of electors that a state has.

If you're worried about voter fraud I'm not going to say I understand that, but I'm also cool making sure people have all the ID they need and having all the people and checkers do all of the counting and checking. I don't think this is really something I want to cheap out on. Mind you I don't like either party, and I see the EC as being the main thing they will never do away with because its the best safety net they have.
Once again the effect on the EC is negligible. I am way more concerned on the effect of House seats. I can understand why you think it can be a safety net for the duopoly but NPV is a pretty good safety net for that as well. No Clinton has ever received 50+% of the vote including Hillary. That will be the next hurdle. You ha
Ve no idea what fresh hell you would unleash. Luckily you wont find out. It requires 2/3 of each chamber of congress and 38 state legislatures. This is what you get for letting your farm teams go to shit.

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:03 am

Never going to get all the way there with one step, EC is firewall, NPV still protects so long as its a single vote in a first past the post system. No shit. Killing the EC just gets people off their asses to go vote if they were in a solid state and not a swing state. Initially that might help both parties, but it at least gets people thinking. Then maybe you get states like Maine, who have more balls than everyone except Nebraska because they're actually fixing their voting structure. Single transferable vote is awesome.

And hey, I got no illusions, I think Reps could win a popular vote, but I don't think they believe that, so shit ain't going to happen till a Dem gets back in, and the Dem is going to be driven by sunshine and unicorn farts which is the political equivalent of Alzheimer's on LSD. Meaning they won't do jack either.

Still, people don't raise a ruckus unless they think they're being screwed, and I think the EC is screwing us by giving false expectations from our actions.

Here, I'll say it, I think it would be better for the country if the president was chosen by state legislatures. Don't have people vote for president if the votes don't go to the president.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Cid wrote:
Here, I'll say it, I think it would be better for the country if the president was chosen by state legislatures. Don't have people vote for president if the votes don't go to the president.
That will cause even more apathy and less voters.

Even though state legislatures probably have more effect on the day to day lives of people, we're convinced that the only thing that matters is the Federal level, and most dumbasses don't even acknowledge the existence of Congress or the SCOTUS. The President does and causes everything.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm fine with apathy if that apathy is born from the ignorant not bothering to learn shit before they cast a ballot. If liberals are comfortable with Republicans controlling their states and state legislatures, then they're proving what a lot of people on the right think which is they're too stupid to vote for a president with the kind of executive power that exists today.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:03 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 am

Okeefenokee wrote:

That guy is a putz. His use of the word demagogue bugged me though. As if, "Hope and Change" wasn't demagoguery?

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:33 am

Well, the idea that 30+ electoral electors will revolt and not vote for Trump is ludicrous but SNL made fun of it:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Jesus fuck... please tell me he's not really "refusing security briefings"... That would be too much.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:02 pm

The CIA kept telling him the same things every day so he told them to call him when they have something new.