What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

kybkh

What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by kybkh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:28 am

Fake news source reports up to 15 electors are refusing to vote for Trump already and actively campaigning against him.

The likelihood of this happening is extremely low, but with 15 already they are allegedly near half way to the number required to prevent Trump from arriving at 270.

What glorious fallout would ensue if that were to occur.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

de officiis

Re: What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by de officiis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:50 am

I think it's unlikely because from what little I've seen, most of those people tend to be intensely loyal to their party. However, I'm not very informed on the issue, so I admit I could be wrong.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:19 am

de officiis wrote:I think it's unlikely because from what little I've seen, most of those people tend to be intensely loyal to their party. However, I'm not very informed on the issue, so I admit I could be wrong.
I think that such a coup would kick off waves of protests that would make the millennial gnashing of teeth pale in comparison.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 am

I'd like to agree with you but I am unsure that Trump voters would be able to take time off from work to protest.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 am

This is one of the main reasons why i am against the Electoral College; it exists to deny the will of the people if the elites so wish.

The threat to our democratic ideals by the delegates going their own way is way worse than any perceived threat by the "demagogue" Trump

Robert Reich, who I usually like, posted some screed about how the Electoral College should do this. All the idiots were out in force quoting Hamilton after that. I don't know about the rest of you, but Alexander Hamilton is the anathema to most values that I consider American
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 am

AndrewBennett wrote: I don't know about the rest of you, but Alexander Hamilton is the anathema to most values that I consider American
Absolutely.

That is why I got so darned cranky when I found out they were keeping Hamilton and icing Jackson from our currency... all because of that insipid Musical!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote: I don't know about the rest of you, but Alexander Hamilton is the anathema to most values that I consider American
Absolutely.

That is why I got so darned cranky when I found out they were keeping Hamilton and icing Jackson from our currency... all because of that insipid Musical!
Well, he is the father of the national money and banking system that enslaves us all today so there's there.

Jackson is simply too manly for today's environment. That's the same reason why everyone loves to point out all the "bad" things about the Great TR before pointing out how he basically saved our country and got it ready for the 20th Century dominance we're all still enjoying. People forget you can't apply today's values on yesterday's people.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:15 am

Plus, Jackson would have hated having his face plastered all over the feds money, so it would be a perfect kick in Hamilton's thin skinned crotch keep old hickory.

And, Jackson was kind of a dick, so I don't mind sticking it in his eye a little too... I'm a petty person.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 am

The elites aren't dummies when it comes to manipulating the public. If the vote was decided on popular vote alone both campaigns would have been run very differently. I still think Trump would have won, he just would have campaigned more in different areas. I could be wrong though. In a close election like this, I'm not sure it makes a difference whether we have an Electoral College or not so long as both sides are playing the same game.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:58 am

Trump would have won a popular vote election. Consider the most populated states are solid blue in the electoral college. Most woud-be republican voters in those states have little reason to vote. But their overall numbers are pretty high. Switch to a popular vote and those dense blue urban areas you see on electoral maps become open season for the GOP.