Small Business

Martin Hash

Small Business

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I think entrepreneurs are rare – really rare – like 1 in 1000 rare. Even starting a hotdog stand is tough - working long hours for little pay, and no benefits. Many small business owners have their wife and kids helping out, no pay. And there’s the indignity of hiring someone who is then protected from long hours and provided social security, healthcare and guaranteed minimum wage by nanny-state oversight. As the employee benefits go up: childcare leave, unemployment insurance, workplace rules – being the one responsible for all that stuff, especially at the equivalent of $2 an hour, just ain’t worth it. If small business (with emphasis on “small”) is really the job engine then the poor schmucks who run them should be recognized for what they are. Hardly any of them will ever amount to a hill of beans but they got “The American Dream.” If you want to encourage their activities then take away the financial barriers of business taxes, employee mandates, and other fees.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for nanny-state protections, but if a society is imposing them, then the society should pay for them – not the SMALL BUSINESS PERSON. However, once a business is “big,” meaning it has PUBLIC stockholders, then lay the burden on it – it’s not a person anymore.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Stephen mosier

Re: The American Dream

Post by Stephen mosier » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:29 pm

I find it interesting that you consider the “American Dream” to be owning one’s own business. Others talk about owning a home as being the American Dream. And others still other things.
For me the American Dream is to be able to fully enjoy the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I think that was the dream of the Founders when they adopted the Declaration of Independence.

The laundry list of things we might hope to achieve as Americans; home ownership, being my own boss, owning my own business, and so forth, are the blessings which flow from the free exercise of our liberty and from the free pursuit of our individual happiness. That is what the words, “..and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity..” in the preamble to the United States Constitution mean to me.

(Incidentally, and at least slightly off the subject, the right to the pursuit of happiness is the right most under assault today and few people are even aware of it.)