Bryce National Park, UT - July 11-12, 2023

Martin Hash

Bryce National Park, UT - July 11-12, 2023

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:23 am

Images of Bryce Canyon are used in travel brochures around the world. My wife, Gwynne, and I were lucky enough to be visiting during the 100-year anniversary. Our campsite was near a prompt shuttle traveling the main route of the park. The Overview trail around the perimeter of the canyon is right on the edge, displaying breathtaking views. The Hoodoo formations are limestone left over when the softer sandstone was eroded away by wind and water over a period of 15 million years. In some places, layers are still visible, mostly rust colored but marbled by white sandstone.

Actually hiking down inside the canyon was even more impressive. We passed through openings in sandstone formations to enter into the next space surrounded by its own rock walls; very mazelike and surrealistic. Along the way were markers where Gwynne took her picture so that she could get a prize at the end, which turned out to be a decal celebrating the 100-year anniversary.

Rock Shop

You can expect to see a rock shop in an area that features geology as its main attraction. I’ve found rock shops alluring since the First grade when I started collecting rocks. Throughout the decades I’ve picked up the odd rock here and there, but now that I’ve got grandkids, it feels imperative that they get to experience at a young age because of the science, curiosity & entertainment that rocks can bring; therefore, no rock shop I come across on my travels goes unvisited. The best rock shop I have ever been in was in Bryce Canyon City, just outside the entrance of the park. When I went in, I wasn’t expecting to buy anything but after succumbing to buying a sandstone coaster with “Bryce Canyon” emblazoned on it, I couldn't help but see there were other good deals, most special of which was a polished piece of rose quartz shaped like a heart, because “Rose Quartz” is my granddaughter’s middle name.

Rodeo

Gwynne has special interests of her own; as an alumnus of 4H & FFA, she’s a natural fan of rodeos, and now-a-days, I am too. Hence, when we saw a billboard advertising a rodeo starting while we were there, we immediately put it on the itinery. We even took a test vist out to the site to make sure we could get there and get back at night. Gwynne, as usual, attracted someone who offered to drive us. We particularly liked the little kids riding sheep, called “mutton busting;” the locals must have lots of kids.

Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change