Black Americana

Martin Hash

Black Americana

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:50 pm

There are several advantages to having mild OCD, one of them is the sense of satisfaction that comes from collecting things, especially strikingly different things. In my case, the feeling is so good I've got a collection of collections: I'll collect anything that seems odd, rare, or out of place. Black Americana, that strange amateur artwork that depicts Blacks as buffoonish caricatures seems remarkably macabre. I'm attracted to it because it gives me the creeps, “the feelies” I call them. Who started this fad? It's been around on a long time. What do Blacks think about it? I Googled “Black Americana” to learn its history and there wasn't even a Wiki entry?! I think that's the first time that's happened: apparently it's so far outside the boundaries of Political Correctness that Wikipedia won't even discuss it? Luckily, ebay, the source of my collection, has an endless supply. (But no Nazi paraphernalia – go figure.)

I can remember when my grandmother had a collection of odd Salt & Pepper shakers, and the pair that depicted Blacks always seemed so bizarre to me as a child. That's not how any of the Black people I had seen ever looked? The amateurish nature of Black Americana art seems to be part of its appeal, as if aficionados are actually attracted to the poorly done depictions and lack of craftsmanship. And why kitchen items: toaster covers, napkin holders & wooden spoons? Unfortunately, positive characterizations like Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben & Mrs. Butter-Worth got swept up in hysteria, and those notable characters no longer stare down from grocery shelves. The fact is, my favorite breakfast cereal as a kid was Cream of Wheat, and I certainly had nothing but admiration for the competent & stately Black cook on the box.
Uncle Ben & Aunt Jemima.jpg
Mrs Butter-Worths.jpg
cream-of-wheat.jpg
Over about a year, I bought the most bizarre, yet utilitarian Black Americana I could find, and presented each to my wife, Gwynne, as an addition to our eclectic kitchen decor. The toaster cover was so bad it made me not want toast, and no one would put pepper on their pasta, or dish out any salad. Gwynne never said much but she never voiced her own opinion either. I guess actions speak louder than words because one day, when I wasn't looking, she gathered up all of my Black Americana collection & threw it in the garbage.
Black Americana 2.jpg
black americana toaster cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change