Life’s Lessons

Martin Hash

Life’s Lessons

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:44 am

This story starts on a scary note: my son, Haven, was in an automobile accident where his Jaguar T-boned an old Datsun. Haven was unhurt, but the Fire Department had to cut away the roof to get the two men in the other car free. We lived nearby so my wife, Gwynne, and I were at the scene of the accident almost immediately. First thing Gwynne does is run over to make sure Haven was alright. I didn’t want to add to the hysterics so I went and stood next to a group of guys in blue coveralls – the tow truck drivers.

One of the guys, not noticing me, was yapping away about how the driver of the Jag should get a reward for capturing “those two scumbags.” Apparently, neither of the men in the Datsun had driver’s licenses or insurance, there were drugs in the car, and both had felony warrants for their arrests. Tow truck drivers are apparently less forgiving of driving incidents than regular people. “A trophy,” the guy kept saying. “The kid should get a f*ing trophy.” This information did not make the situation any better but it did explain the direction of the dialog used by the policeman talking to Haven.

“Son,” comforted the policeman. “Don’t blame yourself. You didn’t get up this morning planning to hurt someone.”

I appreciated the police officer’s efforts to calm my boy’s visible shock. Especially considering, just the day before, Haven had an exceptionally rude awaking to the craziness of society during his Freshman orientation at WSU, (see http://www.martinhash.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=15&t=75). However, the policeman was getting a little off-track.

“It’s not your fault… Let’s face it, those gentlemen aren’t exactly stellar members of the community – it’s not like you killed a doctor or anything.”

Haven couldn’t believe what he was hearing: from liberal dogma to conservative callousness in less than 24 hours was too much for him. “Stop! Stop!” he exclaimed, holding his hands to his ears. “My head is exploding!”

Yep. I think my son is ready for the real world now.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change