The Next Generation

Martin Hash

The Next Generation

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm

It is almost a matter of political incorrectness to diagnose a generation, but the impulse to put voice to my observations is overwhelming - I must comment on the proclivities of my children’s activities and attitudes. However, the last thing I want to do is repeat the negative refrains of every past generation for the succeeding one, so I will instead keep my deductions specific and as non-accusatory as possible.

To break the ice, let me make the hopefully non-confrontational statement that 20-somethings spend a lot of time in front of a screen. Television was their trusted friend and babysitter as children and still serves that purpose today in the form of videogames. The most obvious result of so many sedentary hours is obesity and social awkwardness. I’ve actually seen public service announcements trying to get kids to play outside for 30 minutes a day… 30 minutes!?

Secondly, it is fair to say that constant internet contact with friends and family members is a must – much more than visits or letters ever were in my generation… And I mean CONSTANT contact. Look around you in the grocery store, or in any public venue – half the people have their phones out, either talking, texting, or surfing. They “social network” every single day, sometimes every hour, sometimes every minute! How can the most mundane aspects of a person’s life be so interesting to others?

I will ease into the more debatable issues… Most 20-somethings don’t have real jobs or careers - their long-term goals are vague with no specific plans to achieve them. They rarely make extended commitments, like marriage, but they do engage in many carnal relationships without reflection or promise. I’m no prude – if you can get it, go for it. “30 is the new 21” is a truism if I ever heard one. If the parents will give you living expenses and pay for your cell phone, take it.

Younger people have little concept of loyalty to American-make products. There is simply no comprehension of the connection between locally-made goods and where jobs come from. To be fair, many of my generation have not made that essential connection either, but in a young person’s eyes, American goods are crap, Asian products are king, and they’ll pay a 2X premium for foreign made brands.

Intellectual property rights for music, movies, and computer software is totally unrecognized, and even resented. 20-somethings feel neither guilt nor shame when they pirate/steal the work of others for there own entertainment and amusement. I do not expect this to change nor do I know how to modify the attitude. These industries are the walking dead - it will be interesting to see if the generation that exploits them so readily will even notice when they’re gone?

Most concerning is a first-come-first-serve mentality which breeds a contempt of the rules or regulations that tend to enforce courtesy. Frankly, I don’t care - I got mine - but how is this thing going to work out? It will be like the chaos of the Third World soon.

These traits are not shared by my generation but they may not be unique in history. In fact, it is probably true that every 70 years or so (3 generations), economies tumble from exploitation of leisure and lack of work ethic. We must be headed for a big one!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change