Where Does Courtesy Come From?

Martin Hash

Where Does Courtesy Come From?

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:05 am

In my world travels I have experienced all kinds of cultures, various peoples, and different levels of social maturities - some quite alien to our own, others very similar. Americans certainly stick out in their natural inquisitiveness, sincere friendliness, and boisterous, brash, big personalities and attitudes towards everything from ordering beer in a bar to talking loudly on their cell-phones in public places. Most non-Americans find as much to love as to hate about the American stereotype, and most of the Europeans claim superior social character… Could be?

However, there’s one thing Americans have that is a rare commodity among EUers – my goodness people, show some courtesy – and please, please don’t abuse the courtesy I show you. Americans are, hands down, the courtesy kings. One of the things I miss most when I’m out-of-country is relaxing when I leave a hand-breath’s space between myself and the person in front of me in a queue – not having to fight off the line-cutters. The selfishness and rudeness of people in rest of the world leaves me breathless.

I’ve contemplated where it is Americans get their courtesy from? Other countries have much the same religion, laws, culture and family structure. What fundamental aspect of our lives enforces us to show respect to our fellow citizens? My conclusion - GUNS! Americans carry concealed weapons and you never know who has one? Americans learn courtesy young, and the lessons are brought home. American teenagers, full of their new power, self-assuredness, and rebelliousness, will cut in line once too often – a line also attended by a cowboy with a gun and the intention to enforce courtesy if need be. A confrontation occurs. Regardless of the outcome, the inconsiderate line-cutter will probably not cut again. This same scenario replays itself in all aspects of social interaction – a de facto enforcement of the norms of courtesy. In other countries there is no immediate censure of unacceptable behavior so inconsiderateness is the norm.

Others can argue with my concealed-firearms = social–courtesy theory but in the meantime I can only imagine not fighting my way through a checkout line in the grocery store until I get back home to the States.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change