Saving $10 Shipping

Martin Hash

Saving $10 Shipping

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 30, 2016 6:37 am

I do my own home repairs. It could be everyone my generation does, or it be could boredom, or it could be the penny-pincer aspect of it? After 16 years, the brass hinges on the back door wore out. I paid $500 to have them replaced last time, and that wasn't going to happen again, so like every DIYer, I went to Google for help. First, brass hinges are so last century: they're super expensive, over $100 each, and I needed 4, plus they wear out. I found some ball-bearing, brass-platted hinges on the Internet for $12.06. Woohoo! I went through the “add to your cart” process but when the price came up it said “free shipping if you spend over $49.” Otherwise it was $10 for shipping. I'd only spent $48.24 That's like a call-to-action for a DIYer.

I spent a few minutes looking through the website trying to find the cheapest thing that would take me over the $49 mark. As I saw it, pay an extra dollar, save 10, no-brainer. There was a thingy for 67 cents but that wasn't enough, then I found a doorstop for 81 cents, and that $10 was going to be mine! Weirdly, the final total said, “you saved $6 in shipping,” which wasn't quite as savory, but whatever?
Hinges.jpg
A week or so later the mailman delivers a small but heavy box, and I thought, here's my $10 (maybe $6?) savings. First thing I noticed opening it up was that instead of the hinges coming 2 to a pack, these hinges had 4, so now I had 4 hinges too many. So what, their fault (maybe mine, I should have read closer?). I didn't even notice the 81 cent doo-dad wasn't in the box, I had hinges to install, and they went in perfectly, done deal, $460 saved, $10 (or maybe $6) shipping saved, and there were still hinges to spare for next time.
Saving Shipping.jpg
About a week later, UPS shows up and gives me a lightweight envelop. What could this be, I wondered? I tore it open but couldn't see anything at first, so turned over and a something-or-other slid out with an invoice for 81 cents. It dawned on me that the hinge company had spent way more than $10 UPSing me something I didn't even want so that I could save $10 (or maybe $6?). I felt kinda bad, thought maybe I should send those extra 4 hinges back, but how much would that shipping be? More than $10 that's for sure. It hurt my brain to think about it.

p.s. After all the money & effort spent on that doorstop, I thought I'd try to use it on one of my doors but it didn't work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change