Feelie Museum

Martin Hash

Feelie Museum

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:08 am

Lots of pretentious people say they can tell “good” art because it makes them feel strong emotions, either positive or negative. That definition also applies to all kinds of connoisseurs: gourmets, oenophiles, fashionistas and patrons of the opera. They say they have discriminating tastes, trained or inherited, that makes them capable of inhaling a kind of cosmic serotonin. I was rather incredulous of that claim; most of the folks I've met or seen in the media who said they had this special ability didn't seem like metahumans to me? In fact, I was inclined to suspect that they were instead self-important attention-seekers, but I was wrong! Because I've discovered that there is something that causes a similar effect to happen to me, and from what I an tell, it happens to my wife too. However, my psychic power isn't a green thumb for raising orchids, a nose for perfumes, an ear for pan pipes, an eye for modern dance, or any of those other rarefied circles, no, my skill is much more nuanced than that: instead I experience electric tingling when in the presence of inanimate Political Incorrectness, and when such items are in close proximity, the combined effect is stunning to behold. I call such a collection stiff-hair-on-your-back, anti-PC objects, a “Feelie Museum.”
Elephants Foot Humidor.JPG
Hitler Stamps.JPG
If you want to create your own Feelie Museum, the first question you to ask yourself is, “how does that make me feel?” because a Feelie Museum is a collection of objects intended to evoke emotions. Creation of such a collection involves gathering bizarre items, such as cigarette packaging, Hitler stamps, human & animal parts crafted into macabre utilitarian tools, and otherwise tasteless bric-n-brak all into one place. The very fact something is political incorrect, and the confused emotions it conjures: a balance of outrage, fear & guilt, with a dash of macabre & irony, make it a candidate for inclusion in a Feelie Museum. It's like combining culinary with sports with gut reactions. The item should make you experience an exquisite mixture of sensations not unlike a bitter taste on your pallet, so a Feelie is like a Foodie except you're an emotions gourmet. For example, the pit in my stomach I get when I first see something disturbing determines my desire to own it. My wife, Gwynne, knows just what I'm talking about: if her original reaction is “I don't want that thing in my house!” I know there's a Feelie Museum candidate in front of us.
Cigarette Premiums.JPG
Sea Turtle Shell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change